Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.
A similar issue was reported by a customer when the files were stored on a NFS server, where the files were the files were set to Read Only. Once the files were set to read and write, then there wasn't an issue. Also, if the files were stored on a different server (Windows Server and Windows Samba Server) or locally, the problem didn't exist. Can you confirm?
The files are stored on a Macintosh server. As noted in my post, setting the files to read/write is not an option as we don't want users to have the ability to overwrite the images. This was not the case with FileMaker 8. I don't know what version of FileMaker the change was introduced as I moved directly from 8 to 11. It could have come in in 9 or 10.
The NFS server issue was introduced in FileMaker Pro 11. It was not reported in previous versions. Putting the files on a non-NFS server is the only option at this time. Our Development and Testing departments are fully aware of this issue.
My ignorance is showing here. What is an "NFS server"?
We are having the same issue with our setup. You can read all about it in the forum post: Referenced images not showing in calculated container field in FMP 11, but correctly in FMP 10
- images stored on OS X 10.5.8 server - volumes mounted using AFP and/or SMB on the users computer
- FMP advanced server 9x running on OS X 10.5.8
- FMP database with 1.8 million records + referenced calculated container field to show the images from the server
- Images are not showing at all or some at random in FMP 11
- Images are showing up correctly in FMP 10 & 9.
- changing the permissions has no effect on the random showing of the images - in any read/write mode the images do not show in FMP 11.
- NFS protocol is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System_(protocol)
When can we expect a fix for this urgent problem. We have 20+ staff stuck in FMP 10 because they cannot see the images in the database. We would like to upgrade to FMP 11.
Thank you for your post.
At this time, FileMaker Pro 11 will not read nor insert image files on an NFS volume unless the group's privilege are write-enabled. However, it appears in your case that even with write-enabled, the images are only appearing intermittently (randomly?). Can you provide more information so I can make sure Development and Testing are aware of the problem? Do you have a sample file with some images you can send in? Are the images all JPG? PNG? TIFF? EPS?
Any other information you can provide may be helpful.
TSGal: Thank you for the fast reply.
Yes, I can send a small demo fmp file showing the error, as well as some extra screenshots of what is happening on a system.
Where can I send the zip with all the info to?
- fmp file with a calculated container field to my afp server.
- JPG images linked to the database
- screenshot FMP 11 & FMP 10 (1 image works - the other not)
- info screengrab of the images on the server showing the persission
Yes - the images mostly come and go at random and it is different on each users computer.
- permissions are all set to read & write as suggested
- afp or smb is giving the same error
- we can easily recreate the problem in our company with a new database from scratch on a new set of images
- we only use JPG images, so I cannot tell about the other file formats
- the problem occurs only in FMP 11 on any OS X system from 10.5.8 to 10.7.2
Thank you for the additional information.
Please check your Inbox at the top of this page where to send your files. I will test it here.
I've had the same problem. I found out that the images that didn't show up were saved with a color mode = Lab Color. If the same image is then saved as RGB everything works again.
Hope this helps
Thank you for your comment, but all our images are saved in RGB 8 bits/channel. We have already tried resaving the images with other programs and with different settings of compression for jpg, but the result remains the same - images will not show in FMP 11.0.4