Summary

The mouse is very touchy in v12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Both

Description of the issue

The mouse in v12 became very touchy. I'm not sure about proper terms here, but as far as I know normally mouse movements have to pass a certain threshold to be considered "real" movements that need to be acted upon. This way small unconscious movements are ignored and only obvious movements produce actions.

In v12 this threshold seems to be much lower than in previous versions, causing a whole lot of issues. For example, I may try to select an object, but instead end up moving it slightly. The movement is so small that I usually fail to notice it and realize this only much later when I see that the neat alignment has gone or that the object popped out of a portal or a tab by a single pixel and is no longer "owned" by this portal or tab. Or I may want to type out a label, click somewhere in a layout, and start typing; but FileMaker detects the tiny movement during the click and things I've dragged the mouse to outline the width of the label (one or two pixels). As a result when I start typing, I get a thin vertical "label" which cannot even show the characters.

I don't think this is something with my mouse, because I'm getting the same experience both on Mac and on PC with different mice and because in v11 and earlier everything is still pretty comfortable.

I also want to file a complaint :) v12 brought us a lot of changes, including numerous changes in layout tools. First I thought I would accustom to this as I usually do and will be as efficient as I was in v11 and all older versions up to v4. But so far this haven't happen. I don't see other users are complaining, so first I thought it's just me, but... well, even if so, I have to raise this up. I'm going to post a series of issues; each of them is probably not a big deal, but together they really slow things down. I think I spend like four times as much in layout mode than I used to. I have to file each issue separately, but I want you to know they're all interconnected and enforce each other.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Prepare a layout with a few objects on it; align them so you can detect if they are misaligned and turn off all alignment helpers. Start selecting the objects with the mouse and, say, change their colors. After some time you'll probably move one of them a pixel or two out of place.

Select the text tool and start typing text labels on a layout by clicking in a free space and typing. After some time you'll probably get a label that is one or two pixels wide.

Expected result

The tiny mouse movements are ignored up to certain comfortable threshold.

Actual result

The tiny mouse movements are not ignored; even a single pixel is treated as a conscious movement and is immediately acted upon.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A.

Configuration information

N/A.

Workaround

None. That is it doesn't occur each time and you can undo the damage or delete the broken results and start over, but it adds up to frustration.

• 1. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
          Benjamin Fehr
           Hi Mikhail I deal with the same problem. This is due to the changes of 'select-a-object' in general. With FM12, you can select a object by drag yours mouse (click holt down) out from nowhere and as soon as the drag-square touches the object, it get's selected. It's that kind of behavior you already might know from Adobe Software. If you hold down cmd-key, the object needs to be surrounded by the drag-square to get selected. Useful to select a single object embedded with, or very close to others. Though this is what I see as a workaround (beside of having shortcut for "undo" at hand constantly). FMI: Please, no more changes-for-the-changes-sake! This new behavior is crap and breaks the rules of ours personal habits we all built of in the last 20 years.
          • 2. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
            philmodjunk

I can also confirm this. I go to double click a button or other object to pop up the "setup.." dialog for it and it jumps out of position instead. I then have to undo the move and try again--very irritating.

• 3. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12

Mikhail Edoshin:

Thank you for the post.  

FileMaker Pro 12 uses the operating system's settings for mouse movement. Please see the screenshot below for the specific settings for Mac OS X 10.6-10.8 and Windows 7. 

If I am developing a layout and my Tracking speed is set to Fast on Mac OS X, then many times when I click on a field, I inadvertently move the field a pixel or two.

However, I enjoy being able to move a field a pixel or two without the inspector, so I usually slow down my Tracking/Pointer speed to a slower level so this does not occur. If my Tracking/Pointer speed is set to as slow as possible, then this never occurs.

If you turn down your Tracking/Pointer speed, then do you still experience the same behavior?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                Markus Schneider
                 TSFalcon: It's NOT the mouse, its FileMaker. Try to adjust a couple of text elements in FileMaker 12 - the new behavior is driving You nuts! Never had this before FM12 - and please don't tell us to adjust the mouse extra for FileMaker... (-:
                • 5. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                  MikhailEdoshin
                  No, my mouse settings are much less extreme :) On Windows the pointer speed is exactly at the center mark (see the screenshot). Besides, I clearly see the difference between v11 and v12 at the same machine with the same mouse settings, plus I experience the same effect on Mac. Mac mouse usually feels slightly "softer" than on Windows and allows for more precise positioning, but with v12 even this extra softness doesn't help. I don't think this is the speed of the cursor; maybe it's something like the delay after the mouse button is down and the moment the object is considered "dragged". If it's too small, then even a single click would turn into a click-and-drag.
                  • 6. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                    philmodjunk

Ditto for me. If I open FileMaker 11, no troubles with the mouse clicks. In FileMaker 12, trouble. It's like the clicked object "sticks" to the mouse cursor just long enough to change positions by a small amount.

• 7. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                      Benjamin Fehr
                       @TSFalcon It's certainly not that we're going to change mouse-preferences for the whole computer in order to deal with just another FM12 insufficiency! Please have this thread forwarded to your product-manager so she can see with what kind of crap we have to deal with day by day. with kind regards Benjamin Fehr EfficientBizz GmbH - Zurich Switzerland
                      • 8. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                        philmodjunk

And someone else has just reported the same thing over in the FM Go Forum....

• 9. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12

markus schneider:

Thank you for the reply. 

No one is suggesting you make extra adjustments for FileMaker. I am suggesting that a quicker Tracking/Pointer speed could lead to inadvertently moving objects by pixels if an object is clicked, held, and dragged a pixel. 

Mikhail Edoshin:

Thank you for the reply.  

If you turn down your Tracking/Pointer speed, then do you still experience the same behavior? If the behavior occurs at 50%, then does it occur at 10%?

To attempt to replicate this issue:

1. Five different text objects ranging from a single letter in 6 point font to full sentences in 20 point font were placed on the layout at random positions.

2. Three button objects were placed on the layout at random positions.

3. Random clicks from object to object for 30 minutes.

4. Tracking speed was as fast as can be set. 

5. Screenshot of the Position section in the inspector for each object.

6. Snap to grid toggled on and off.

No pointed and clicked objects shifted pixels. Screenshots of the Position section in points compared before and after matched all the object's final positions. 

@All:

Am I missing a step to replicate?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                            Markus Schneider
                            Thank You very much for Your reply!  It won't happen every time - what makes it a bit difficult to reproduce on the fly. If one is working all day long, he or she will have it - and sending 4-letter-words to the sky... As said before: That's new, happens with FM12. All of my colleagues around here have it. Maybe one at FileMaker should check for the changes concerning mouse-behavior since FM11...
                            • 11. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                              MikhailEdoshin

Here's what I did: I took a layout from one of apps I'm working on with two columns of fields and label. First I made sure they're well aligned; then I started to click to select the elements. I clicked in a criss-cross fashion, each click selected an element. I can't say I was too careful, I clicked as I usually did in v11 to select an object. As you see after 50 clicks three objects shifted a bit. This is fairly consistent; I tried to realign them and clicked normally but maybe slightly more careful, but after a series of quick clicks some of objects shift. 

This is Windows 7, my mouse settings are average, I've posted a screenshot above.

• 12. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12

markus schneider:

Thank you for the reply. 

I will forward a request to Product Development asking if any mouse behavior changes were made between FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 12.

Mikhail Edoshin:

Thank you for testing. 

I performed an identical test in Windows 7 with my mouse pointer speed turned all the way up. Only if I dragged the object after clicking did pixels shift.

If you turn down your Tracking/Pointer speed and perform the exact same test, then do you still experience the same behavior? If the behavior occurs at 50%, then does it occur at 10%?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                                  philmodjunk

Please note that you have a whole group of users with extensive experience all reporting the same issue. And the same computer with the same settings does not show this behavior when  using FileMaker 11.

• 14. Re: The mouse is very touchy in v12
                                    Benjamin Fehr

@PhilModJunk: Very kind words for a absolutely awkward situation. Are you practicing ZEN-Buddhism? I couldn't imagine any other way to calm my anger.

@TSFalcon: We're talking about obvious things. That means:

- don't fix things if not broken

- don't change habits for no better (though The mouse is very touchy in FM 12) 

- have a in depth look at yours product before launch

- FMI don't listen to us

- FM 12 is still in state of a poor beta-version

1 2 Previous Next