Summary

The quirky behavior of field and label duplication in layout mode

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

The behavior is new in ver 12. When in layout mode, if you click to select the field and/or label, you'll have to really hold your mouse steady or the label and field will be unintentionally duplicated. This is very annoying. I would rather the "duplication by moving" feature be disabled and replaced by right clicking and specifically choosing Duplicate off menu.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Click on a field or label or both. Try to move or align them with other fields by clicking and dragging. Fields or labels that you try to move will be easily duplicated unintentionally.

Expected result

Fields and labels can only be moved with no duplication.

• 1. Re: The quirky behavior of field and label duplication in layout mode
          philmodjunk

I've been doing a lot of heavy layout design in v12 over the last few weeks. While there are many issues with the new set up, I have yet to unintentionally duplicate a layout object by clicking or double clicking it.

Duplicating an object requires more than a mouse click, the control (windows) or option (mac) key must also be down at the time of the mouse click. Since these modifier keys aren't used in layout mode except for duplicating an object with a drag of the object, (And yes, it doesn't work right in 12 as has been previously reported), I'm puzzled as to how just clicking or dragging an object is also duplicating it for you.

• 2. Re: The quirky behavior of field and label duplication in layout mode
            Fred(CH)

Hi all,

i have seen weird similar situations where a defective keybord sent CTRL or Maj or etc... permanently to the computer. Anyways, i suggest to test it with another keyboard.

Bye, Fred

• 3. Re: The quirky behavior of field and label duplication in layout mode
              OliverChen

Phil:

To make the unintentional duplication happen, in layout mode, hold Shift Key and select a series of fields and/or labels. If your hand holding the mouse is not steady and clicks on a field with a little dragging action, duplication will happen. 

• 4. Re: The quirky behavior of field and label duplication in layout mode
                philmodjunk

Sorry, but I cannot reproduce this behavior with the shift key down. The shift key helps manage mutliple selections by selecting deselecting individual items without affecting the "selection status" of other layout items so I woudn't expect to see this result in a duplicated layout object.

If I were holding down the CONTROL key, I would expect that as this is the modifier key for the "duplicate while dragging" action.

I will note that these two keys are close to each other and will ditto Fred's suggestion that your keyboard may have an issue here.