The v3 mail fix ignores default email client, and uses only Outlook 11

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v3

Operating system version

Mac 10.5.8

Description of the issue

Before I upgraded to Filemaker 11v3, I upgraded my Office suite to Office 2011 but after playing with it, I didn't like the interface in Outlook, and went back to Entourage 2008. "Send mail" continued to work, sending messages to the Entourage outbox.

But when I upgraded to Filemaker 11v3, "send mail" now only sends mail to Outlook and only if Outlook is open, totally ignoring the fact that Entourage is set as the default email client.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Select FILE > SEND > MAIL…

Expected result

Email is created and sent to outbox of default email client, in this case Entourage 2008.

Actual result

No email is generated in the Entourage/default email client outbox. Only if Outlook is open will an email be generated in the Outlook outbox.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

I exported the found sets of names and email addresses to tab-delimited files, open the tab-delimited files in Word, search and replace the tab for " <" and the paragraph mark for ">,", then copied and pasted the text string into a new email message recipient box.

Given that the membership within the database is constantly shifting, this workaround has to be redone each time.