4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 10:37 AM by TSGal

THEME IMPOSTOR: Renaming a theme changes the internalName and is no longer updatable

Summary

THEME IMPOSTOR: Renaming a theme changes the internalName and is no longer updatable

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

mac/win

Description of the issue

If you rename a theme, this causes the internalName to be changed, making it impossible to update the theme.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I) To test the changing of the internalName:

1. Create a theme.
      2. Copy the theme to the clipboard
      3. Use a a tool to inspect the clipboard contents and note the value of the internalName attribute
      4. Rename the theme
      5. Copy the theme to the clipboard
      6. Use a a tool to inspect the clipboard contents and note the value of the internalName attribute

II) To test the update problem:

1. Create a file "Theme A.fmp12" with a custom Theme "A"
      1.1. Create a file "Theme A.fmp12"
      1.2. Change the header background to yellow
      1.3. Save the changes to the  header background style
      1.4. Save the design as new custom theme "A"

2. Import this into a second file:
      2.1. Create a file "Theme A imported.fmp12"
      2.2. In Manage > Themes import Theme A from "Theme A.fmp12"
      2.3. Change the layout to design "A"

Do a successful update:

3. Change and save the style
      3.1 In File "Theme A" change the background color to red.
      3.2 Save the changes to the style
      3.3 Save the changes to the design

4. Update the theme in the second file:
      4.1 Bring  file "Theme A imported.fmp12" to the front
      4.2 In Manage > Themes import Theme A from "Theme A.fmp12"
      4.3 Select "overwrite" when asked

5. In the second file (actually in either file) change the name of theme A to B and then back to A.

6. Try to update Theme "A" in the second file again.
      6.1 repeat step 3 (with green)
      6.2 repeat step 4

Expected result

I) I expect the internalName to not change between steps 3 and 6.
      II) I expect the import theme command to offer to update Theme A, even after I have named it to B and back to A again

Actual result

I) The internalName is changed
      II) The import theme command does not offer to update Theme A, rather creates Theme A 2 without asking

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

-

Configuration information

-

Workaround

Don't rename themes.

THEME_IMPOSTERS_-_Dont_rename_themes.png

• 1. Re: THEME IMPOSTOR: Renaming a theme changes the internalName and is no longer updatable
          TSGal

MrWatson:

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to understand all of this information.  Your title is "Renaming a theme changes the InternalName and is no longer updatable".  However, you have laid out steps for several factors that don't seem related.

My first thought is "What are you trying to accomplish?"  That is, are you trying to keep a master theme in one file that you can update in another file, or do you want to make changes in several files that have the same Theme name and overwrite what appears in other files and layouts?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: THEME IMPOSTOR: Renaming a theme changes the internalName and is no longer updatable

I am trying to show that renaming a theme turns it from a 'real' theme (which is updatable) to an 'IMPOSTOR' theme (which is not updatable).

I am then trying to help by showing WHY this occurs, BECAUSE :

1. Renaming a theme changes the internalName (<= this is the BUG that THIS post is hunting)

2. The Theme-Import function does not allow IMPOSTER-THEMES (i.e. Themes with the same VISIBLE name  but a different internalName) to be updated (<= this BUG (or NON-FEATURE) is dealt with by other of my posts)

I have thus written the steps two show two things:

Part I) contains steps to show that renaming a theme changes the internalName attribute of the theme --- but this is only helpful, if you have a tool which can show the contents of the FileMaker clipboard. (e.g. Clipmanager from fmButler, or in my toolkit from www.fmWorkMate.com use the ClipboardViewer and check the Mac-XMTH flavor.)

Part II) contains steps to show that this makes it impossible to update a theme after renaming it.

Within Part II:

- steps 1 & 2 prepare the two files needed for this test, i.e.: two files which both use theme "A"

- steps 3 & 4 are the control steps to prove that the two files have indeed been correctly created, and that an update with theme import is possible.

- step 5 is the changing of the name (from A to B and back to A) (which produces the effect seen in Part I)

- step 6 is the re-update step, where one discovers that one has broken the updatability of the theme between the files.

Does that help?

• 3. Re: THEME IMPOSTOR: Renaming a theme changes the internalName and is no longer updatable
              TSGal

MrWatson:

So in essence, you are trying to say "Renaming an imported Theme no longer accepts updates,"

I have forwarded parts of your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: THEME IMPOSTOR: Renaming a theme changes the internalName and is no longer updatable
                TSGal

MrWatson:

This is as designed.  That is, renaming a custom theme updates the internal theme ID.  There is reference to your suggestion at:

THEME IMPOSTER - Theme A cannot be updated although the names are the same

... as this would handle the scenario.  Make sure you enter that suggestion into our Feature Requests web form.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.