1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 9:40 AM by TSGal

Things Don't Line Up Correctly and Print Differently on Different Computers

CoveValleyCamp

Summary

Things Don't Line Up Correctly and Print Differently on Different Computers

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10Operating System(s) involved:Win XP sp3 Home Edition Detailed description of the issue:I'm going to explain this the best I can. I've made a registration form.  The "labels" and lines (used the underscore key) are in one text box.  I then put merged fields over each line of the form so that we can send filled out registration forms. (It allows them to just verify their information.) The further I go to the right on the document, the more I have to offset the merged fields and rectangle boxes I've put in for them to use as checkboxes in order for things to line up when viewing and printing. On computer #1, I figured out that if I zoom in to 150% in Layout Mode I can line everything up while zoomed in and it will print correctly.(If I line it up while viewing at 100%, it prints incorrectly. Nothing lines up.) If I go to the SAME form on computer #2, it looks way off no matter what and prints wrong no matter what. I don't want to have to move everything around every time I print from a different computer.  Nothing has sliding turned on.  I want it to print exactly where I put it! HOWEVER, I did notice that my rectangle boxes line up correctly on the other half of the form where I have another text box but no "lines" (using the underscore key).It looks fine at any zoom level and prints fine. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem would be?If it's the fact I used the underscore key as my lines, why would that affect it?  Can I fix it without having to use ACTUAL lines?And regardless of that - why does it act completely differently on a different computer??? I appreciate any insight you may have into this issue.  If you have any questions, let me know.  I'll do my best to explain. 

• 1. Re: Things Don't Line Up Correctly and Print Differently on Different Computers
          TSGal

CoveValleyCamp:

Thank you for your post.

What font are you using to create the form?  Does that font exist on the second machine?  Or, is there some font substitution?  What video driver is being used on both machines?

Instead of using the underscore key, have you tried using the line tool and drawing a line?  This will keep a static length no matter what font is used.

If you want a dynamic length, then consider formatting the merge field to be underlined.

Are you using the same printer for both machines?  If not, then the page setup, margins, etc. may be different, and this would affect your layout and printout.

When you go to Preview Mode, this is exactly what is being sent to the printer driver.

Any other information you can provide may help.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.