7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 1:42 PM by rethinkmedia

times new roman italics look too tilted

ocolamonici

Summary

times new roman italics look too tilted

Description of the issue

When I open a solution that I had created in FMP9 with FMP10 the times new roman italics look terrible.  The letters are too tilted and they look a bit distorted. I am using OS 10.5.6, in and MacBookPro.  Any suggestions other than changing the font?

• 1. Re: times new roman italics look too tilted
          TSGal

ElCola:

I have FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10 on my machine.  I created a layout in version 9 with text in Times New Roman Italics.  I closed the file, duplicated the file, and opened one in version 9 and the other in version 10.  I cannot see the difference in either version.

What size is the font?  Is there any style (bold)?  Please provide any additional information so I can try to duplicate the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: times new roman italics look too tilted
            ocolamonici

Sorry, I did not explained it well.  I have a field, which is set up to display text in lucida calligraphy. When I go to a web page and I copy some text and paste it into the field set to display lucida calligraphy, the text is instead display in the original font used in the web.  I have had this solution for a while, it was created in FMP7, when I switch to 8, the problem appeared, then, using FMP9 it dissapear and now, has returned with FMP10.  Additionally, I posted a separate message indicating that some fonts, in particular times new roman, looks weird in italics; being clearly different from the same font in FMP9.  I think there are font issues in FMP10

• 3. Re: times new roman italics look too tilted
              TSGal

ElCola:

Do you have any functions set up for the field?  The TextFontRemove function should remove the font style and return it to what the format of the field.

Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database..."  Select the field that is having difficulty and click "Options...".  Click on the "Auto-enter" tab (if not already highlighted) and click on "Calculated value".  Assuming the field is named "TEXT", enter the following formula:

TextFontRemove ( TEXT )

Click OK, and then uncheck the option just below "Do not replace existing value of field (if any)"

Now, if you enter information into that field with a different font, when you exit the field, the field will then display in its native font setting.

Back to the previous post, I don't see any font differences between FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10.  In specific, Time New Roman Italics looks the same for me in FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10.  Please tell me which font size you are using so I can try and duplicate the problem here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: times new roman italics look too tilted
                ocolamonici

The font size is 10-12-14.  I will try what you mentioned regarding the field later

Thanks 

• 5. Re: times new roman italics look too tilted
                  TSGal

ElCola:

Thanks for the additional information.

Using FileMaker Pro 9, I created three text objects on a layout using Times New Roman Italics with the font sizes 10, 12 and 14, respectively.  They appear exactly the same in FileMaker Pro 10.  I then used FileMaker Pro 10 to create three additional text objects on a layout using the same font and size, and when I display it in FileMaker Pro 9, it shows the same.

Let me know if you want to send a clone of your database.  I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the clone.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: times new roman italics look too tilted
                    ocolamonici

It worked!! Problem solved.

Thanks 

• 7. Re: times new roman italics look too tilted
                      rethinkmedia

Hi ElCola, it sounds like you're having the same problem I'm having with fonts.

I described the problem in more detail here, I'd love to hear your input if you're having these problems as well.

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Report-a-bug/Continuing-Font-Issues/m-p/62026#M7240

Daniel