too many plugin-paths used by FMP(A)12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Pro 12 and Pro Advanced 12

Operating system version

Windows 7, 8 and Server 2008 (R2)

Description of the issue

Filemaker loads plugins from: %root%:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro Advanced\12.0\Extensions (or %root%:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\12.0\Extensions) ,which is correct since that is the place where plugins are installed from autoupdating plugin.

However plugins are also loaded from: %root%:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions ,which (is to say the least) is annoying since Pré-12 versions are installing their plugin there and there are plugins that only load the first occurence found, hence loading an old (a too old) version of that plugin or maybe loading plugins that you don't want to use. All kinds of problem may occur, because of licensing-issues, version-conflicts, etc.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use besides FM12 older FM-versions like 9 or 10 or 11 and use the autoupdate-features in filemaker. This is typical for developers like myself, since not every customer is up to date and I can't force them to upgrade and it's considered a best practice to develop and debug with the same version as the customer uses.

Expected result

Only loading plugins from: %root%:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro Advanced\12.0\Extensions

Actual result

first loading plugins from: %root%:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions
      after that loading plugins from: %root%:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro Advanced\12.0\Extensions

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No errormessages directly from this procedure.
      In some cases plugins are loaded that explicitly are switches off,
      Sometimes plugins are loaded that are unfit for FM12.
      Sometimes the wrong version of a plugin is loaded into FM.
      It concerns plugin from Troi, myFmButler, Dracoventions and 360Works

Configuration information

Several Windows-versions

Workaround

Empty %root%:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions before starting up FMP(A)12
      This results in always downloading plugins when starting a fp7-database-solution.

• 1. Re: too many plugin-paths used by FMP(A)12

menno:

Thank you for the post. 

This new behavior is one of the documented changes to FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced. Please review the following:

Installing and updating plug-ins in FileMaker Pro

What do I need to know about installing and updating plug-ins in FileMaker Pro?

If you would like to see a change in this behavior, I would encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html 

These web form suggestions are monitored and read by our Development and Product Management departments and then discussed and considered for a future release. Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: too many plugin-paths used by FMP(A)12

TSFalcon:

thank you for your answer:

the trouble I have has nothing to do with installing, since that has been implemented the correct way and that should be left as is. It's only the checking of the legacy-location that causes the problem.

I can't think of any good reason to keep checking that location, because the update-procedure will never remove any plug-in form that location and sometimes Filemaker will keep crashing when starting up until a certain plug-in that may cause that crash is manually removed from that location. It is already bad enough that the old location still is monitored, but now there is a second location. 

Posting this issue as a feature-request will maybe (and just maybe) bring a solution in Filemaker version 13, so I won't bother. I resolved this in another way and since there are more developers out here that have to work in more than one version of Filemaker (I use FM12, FM11 and FM10) sometimes even at the same time on one machine, I 'll post my solution here:

Instead of opening files directly, I always first open Filemaker and then open the files from the Filemaker-open-dialogbox. Because of this, it is pretty easy to use a little-script that prevents loading plug-ins from the legacy-locations.
                 The script contains the following text:

cd %root%\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions
                      rename *.fmx *.007
                      "%root%\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe"
                      rename *.fmx *.007
                      exit

(Of coarse if one does not have the advanced version, the Advanced should be left out here. The 007 extension can be replaced by anything you like as long as it is not known in the registry or by filemaker, I chose 007 as 7 in fp7)
                 Instead of opening Filemaker Pro (Advanced) I open the .cmd-file , that first renames the plugins in the legacy-location, then FmPro is started and the cmd-box stays open until I close FileMaker Pro and as soon as I close FmPro, the script will rename the .007-plug-ins again to .fmx .....

However the purpose of all of this is to be able to run FMP12 and FMP11 next to eachother, so a script for starting up FMP11 (or FMP10) is also needed since the plug-ins maybe renamed to .007 and then the would be useless, so:

cd %root%\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions
                      rename *.007 *.fmx
                      "%root%\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe"
                      exit

Here the opposite is done, any plug-in-file *.007 is renamed to .fmx so it will be loaded into Filemaker.

All of this works without conflicts because Filemaker only checks for the plug-ins at startup and then loads them into memory and never needs the original files anymore until it is started again (or when you run auto-update commands). So far this works fine for me, as a developer I have and use the newest FMP, but also legacy-versions and rather often at the same time. This is a situation a normal user probably won't ever encounter.

regards, Menno