2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 1:06 PM by ralvy

Too many windows crashes FMPA 10 and entire OS

calebr

Summary

Too many windows crashes FMPA 10 and entire OS

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1this does not happen with FMPA 9 Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.5.6 Detailed description of the issue:I have created a very simple test file that creates and closes new windows. As new windows are created (after a few hundred) FMPA starts to slow down. After 1000 or so windows the entire system stops responding. In order to regain control the entire system must be rebooted.Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create a database2.  create a simple looping script that creates and closes windows. set the counter to about 1000 depending on how much RAM the system has.  (my system has 3Gb RAM and crashes after a few hundred windows) here is an example of my script:set variable [$max; value: 2000]set variable [$counter; value:1]loop  new window  close window  set variable [$counter; value:$counter+1]  exit loop if [$counter > $max]end loop Expected Result:windows are created and destroyed and the script finishes without errors Actual Result:a few hundred windows are created and destroyed and then the entire system stops responding. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/A Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:1. This problem does not occur in FMPA 9 2. During the process of creating new windows, I see in terminal>top that the WindowServ process increases with each new window, but does not ever decrease when closing a  window. The WindowServ RAM allocation only goes back to normal when FMPA10 is quit. Any workarounds that you have found:None found except to limit the number of windows created.