Tool Tips / Mouseovers on WebDirect block button

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows 7 Pro

Description of the issue

Sometimes the Tool Tips / Mouseovers block some or all of the button they are attached to preventing the button from being clicked.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a button with a Tool Tip with lengthy text.  Upload it to a WebDirect server.  Hover the mouse over the button in different places on the button.  The Tool Tip sometimes covers part or all of the button.

Expected result

Tool Tip will appear above, below or beside the button and not obscure the button.

Actual result

Tool Tip sometimes appears over the button, blocking the use.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

Google Chrome browser

Tool_Tip_Over_Buttons.png

• 1. Re: Tool Tips / Mouseovers on WebDirect block button
          TSGal

Fred Erickson:

Thank you for your post.

The Tooltip is controlled by the OS; not by FileMaker.  For example, create a large rectangle on the screen, and assign a Tooltip to it.  In Browse mode, hove over the upper left corner until the Tooltip appears.  Notice the position of the Tooltip.  Then, move your cursor off the rectangle and hover over the bottom right corner until the Tooltip appears.  Notice the different position of the the Tooltip.

I recommend you enter a custom Tooltip suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted by Development and Product Management.  Each of these entries are then discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Tool Tips / Mouseovers on WebDirect block button
            philmodjunk

That may not be the whole issue here.

I cannot test on a Mac for comparison but once the tool tip deploys, if I move the mouse pointer on to the tool tip, it disappears. Thus, when not using a web browser, the tool tip text cannot "keep the button from being clicked". If this is the case in Web Direct and not in FileMaker Clients, then at the very least, we have a difference in behavior.

But then maybe I am misunderstanding what Fred Erickson meant by his description of the issue...

• 3. Re: Tool Tips / Mouseovers on WebDirect block button
              fred@kca-inc.com

You are correct about the FMPA client.  The tool tip disappears when the mouse rolls over it.  In both Chrome and IE, the problem occurs when the button is approached from the top (particularly the top left) with the mouse.  The tool tip then covers much of the button.  If approached from the bottom, the tool tip appears to the bottom right of the mouse cursor.

I'd be happy to enter a feature request, but is this something that Filemaker can control or is it purely dependent on the OS/browser?

• 4. Re: Tool Tips / Mouseovers on WebDirect block button
                TSGal

Fred Erickson:

Currently, the Tooltip in a browser is handled by the browser.  This is as designed.  That is why I recommend entering the suggestion into the web form so it can be reviewed and determine what it would take to build our own Tooltip that would also work in a browser.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.