Summary

Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows, Macintosh

Description of the issue

This web  page of documentation http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fmp/en/html/edit_layout.10.52.html
      states the following about tool tips ...

"

Tooltips display in FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Pro Advanced, FileMaker WebDirect, and runtime database solutions."

However, in WebDirect, not all objects will display the tool tips that are available in FMP and FMPA.  For example, a rectangle in WebDirect will not display a tool tip.  A graphic object will not display a tool tip.  These will display tool tips in FMP and FMPA.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Draw a rectangle and add a tool tip.  It displays in FMP and FMPA but does not display in WebDirect.  If this behavior is intended, then the documentation should state for which objects tool tips display in WebDirect.  Please check all objects as I have only mentioned 2 as an example to inspire your investigation.

thanks

Expected result

Tool tips should display as in FMP and FMPA

Actual result

tool tips do not always display as expected

Workaround

none -

• 1. Re: Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect
          TSGal

Ron Papajcik:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware that Tooltips fail for non-entry objects.  This includes Portals (although objects in portals display tooltips), Tab Control panel, Charts, Web Viewers, Rectangles, Ovals, Images, and Text objects including Merge fields.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect
            fred@kca-inc.com

I had this problem with graphic buttons.  I solved the problem by putting a rectangle with no edge and 1% opacity over the graphic button.  I assign the tooltip and the button setup to both objects.  It will be nice when this gets fixed.  I can remove hundreds of rectangles from my layouts. For now it solves the problem.

Fred

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect
              user12479

Fred,

Thanks for your suggestion.  Good idea.  I might use this in a few places.

• 4. Re: Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect
                CraftICT

TSGal

We're still having problems with tooltips using FileMaker Server 14 and WD. Was the above acknowledged problem dealt with as part of the v14 upgrade?

Thanks

Andy

• 5. Re: Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect
                  TSGal

Andy Hibbs:

Appendix A of the FileMaker 14 WebDirect Guide states "Tooltips are not supported with the following layout objects: text, images, fields that do not allow entry, merge fields, merge variables, portals, charts, and web viewers that do not allow interaction."

For more Design considerations, see Appendix A beginning on page 32:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/14/en/fm14_webdirect_guide.pdf

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect
                    CraftICT

This is an interesting definition of an upgrade, as this was not part of the Appendix A in FileMaker 13 WebDirect Guide, so rather than make something work, add the things that don't work to the next version's software guide. Both guides state within the 'Document your solution' section "Layout objects: Create tooltips for layout objects to help web users understand how to interact with the solution" and the last time I looked layout objects included text, images, fields that do not allow entry, etc.

On this basis, perhaps you should add to the 'fmp14_users_guide.pdf' "The Windows version includes a lottery feature that can randomly reorder your scripts and script steps that makes it impossible to use in a Windows production environment"?

Just a thought!

Regards

Andy

• 7. Re: Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect
                      TSGal

Andy Hibbs:

Looking at the extended notes from Development and Testing over a two year timeframe, several tooltips were added to WebDirect objects.  The main focus was to make sure all objects that the user can interact with have tooltips.  Once the interactive object tooltips were finished, work began on non-interactive objects, and only diagonal lines, rectangles, rounded rectangles and ovals were added.  Due to higher priority issues and limited timeframe, work stopped on WebDirect tooltips, and the remaining non-tooltip objects were documented to let users know what isn't supported in WebDirect 14.

Your analogy is flawed.  The script steps reordering issue under Windows operating system is definitely a FileMaker Pro issue that needs to be fixed, and there is no reason to include it in the User's Guide.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Tool tips not working for all objects in WebDirect
                        CraftICT

Thank you for your reply, 2 countries separated by a common language! I think our English sense of humour was lost in translation.

However, seriously, 2-months after release, it would be great to finally be able to use FileMaker Pro 14 within Windows. It is currently unusable and you have taken people's money for this either directly or via maintenance.

Back to WebDirect tooltips, you use the phrase 'unsupported' for non-interactive objects. Our main problem is that sometimes the these tooltips do work in WD and then the customers report back the other times when they don't.

The work arounds suggested here include adding additional objects to a layout that directly contradicts 'create several layouts with a minimum of objects rather than one layout with many objects' from the FM14 WebDirect Guide.

I am not requesting a reply to this post and have experienced many other FileMaker upgrades that caused problems (the XML problems with the release of FileMaker Server 13 cost us a significant amount of money and to our knowledge you never did fix the ActiveX new window problem that cost us a major contract 9-years ago). However, being primarily Windows developers (this post is being typed on a Mac) we are starting to question how thorough your pre-release testing is compared to your Mac versions, which do not appear to be suffering the same problems.

I acknowledge I'm off-track here and apologies if any frustration of not being able to use a product we own is starting to creep in.

Kind regards

Andy