7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 9:40 AM by TSGal

Toolbar changes size in FM 10

mikotekniko

Summary

Toolbar changes size in FM 10

Description of the issue

Fist of all, putting the toolbar on top is awful. People on portables have a problem with fitting in things in height as it is.So, to take advantage of those pixels one might want to hide the toolbar. BUT, when showing the toolbar the window needs resizing.I'll show it in images...Normal toolbar first, search toolbar next. note the change in size. Complete toolbar before and during search Bottom right corner hidden toolbar/visible toolbar Oops, forgot to mention I'm running Mac OS 10.5.6. 

• 1. Re: Toolbar changes size in FM 10
          TSGal

mikotekniko:

Thank you for your comments about the new Toolbar.

I am running 10.5.5, and I'm not encountering the different size in the Toolbar.  I go to Find, Browse, Layout, etc, and the size remains the same.  I see you are using another language, so I'm wondering if that is the cause.  Can you try changing your system language to English and see if the problem still exists?  I'd like to get as much information possible before forwarding this to our Testers.  There's nothing worse than receiving the message, "We can't reproduce the error".  However, I do need your help in determining where this is failing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Toolbar changes size in FM 10
            mikotekniko

I found the reason. I had set the toolbar to be "Icons only" and when searching it defaults back to "icons and text". When in search mode I can change to "icons only" and it now behaves consistent.

The issue with window resizing (bottom right screenshot) is still there though.

• 3. Re: Toolbar changes size in FM 10
              TSGal

Mikotekniko:

Thanks for checking this.

Actually, I'm having difficulty seeing the bottom right screenshot.  I'm obviously missing something.  What steps are you taking to toggle between the two?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Toolbar changes size in FM 10
                jmfeeney
                   I was very surprised that the icon settings (Icon & Text, Icon Only, Text Only, & Use Small Size) are not set universally for the window. Instead each mode is remembered independently. This does not conform to my expectations for window behavior on Mac.
                • 5. Re: Toolbar changes size in FM 10
                  mikotekniko

TSGal:

I don't know all the Filemaker lingo but. Use a layout that is fixed in size. Resize the window so it just fits the layout and no scroll bars are showing. Show the toolbar and the scrollbar appears. 

http://picasaweb.google.com/karlmikaeloskar/FM10Problems?feat=embedwebsiteFM 10 problems

I hope you can see them now.

• 6. Re: Toolbar changes size in FM 10
                    jmfeeney
                       I concur with mikotekniko.

I've also noticed the following window behavior on Mac. When hiding the Status Toolbar, the window will only shrink up equal to the size of the "upper button bar." This works properly regardless of the icon view (Icon & Text, Icon Only, or Text Only.) However, the window does not account for the size of the Layout bar or the Formatting bar or Text Ruler, if they are shown. Further more, you'll notice that the "upper" Status Toolbar will slide out of view first, and then the Layout bar will simply disappear, rather than continuing to slide up into the window title bar. (Also, as the toolbar is sliding up, you can see the Find icon and the Manage icon shrink in size, while all the other icons maintain their proper size during this animation.)

I've compared the way FileMaker handles the windows on Mac with the iWork Pages app. In Pages, showing/hiding any toolbar will cause the window to resize. Showing/Hiding the Text Ruler, however, will steal space from the content area of the Pages window. Whereas in FileMaker, only the "upper" Status Toolbar resizes the window, and everything else steals space from the window content area. I think that's the issue here.

• 7. Re: Toolbar changes size in FM 10
                      TSGal

All:

Thanks for the additional information.  I totally understand and needless to say, I can reproduce the problem.

I have forwarded the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can be made aware of this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.