Summary

Transparent buttons are all broken in FileMaker 12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

FileMaker 12 has broken all of our transparent buttons from FM11 and earlier.

We often create transparent boxes (no border & no fill), arrange them so that they are at the front of all other objects, and then assign a button to those transparent boxes.

This enables us to do all sorts of amazing things, such as putting one gigantic button horizontally across all the fields in list view, so when the user clicks on the button, they are taken to the detail view of the record that they just clicked on. But because the button is transparent, they can still see the fields through the button so they know what they're clicking on.

IN ORDER FOR TRANSPARENT BUTTONS TO WORK, they MUST BE AT THE FRONT OF ALL OTHER OBJECTS. Otherwise, the user ends up clicking on whatever is visible through the button instead of the button itself.

BUT FILEMAKER 12 HAS BROKEN ALL OF THIS.

In FileMaker 12, in layout mode, we developers CANNOT SELECT OBJECTS THAT ARE BEHIND THE TRANSPARENT BUTTON. IN ORDER FOR US DEVELOPERS to select objects behind the transparent button in layout mode, we have to SEND THE TRANSPARENT BUTTON TO THE BACK. This defeats the entire purpose of the transparent button, because then in browse mode, the button is NO LONGER CLICKABLE because it is behind everything else. So we developers have to SEND THE BUTTON TO THE BACK IN LAYOUT MODE, then SEND THE BUTTON BACK TO THE FRONT before we return to browse mode.

So FileMaker just made our lives a million times more difficult in FileMaker 12, because now we have to jump through all these extra steps that we never had to jump through before. In the past, in LAYOUT MODE, we were able to click on objects that were visible through transparent objects.

Please revert this behavior back to how it used to be.

• 1. Re: Transparent buttons are all broken in FileMaker 12
          philmodjunk

This enables us to do all sorts of amazing things, such as putting one gigantic button horizontally across all the fields in list view, so when the user clicks on the button, they are taken to the detail view of the record that they just clicked on. But because the button is transparent, they can still see the fields through the button so they know what they're clicking on.

Please note that I am not disagreeing with you in the least, but in this one specific circumstance, I haven't used a transparent button in a long time as I can select all the fields in the row and use button setup to turn them into my button to click. That obviously won't solve every situation where you might use an invisible button, but it makes for a simpler layout design in this one specific case.

• 2. Re: Transparent buttons are all broken in FileMaker 12
            Dillik

Do you think this problem would be mitigated if they were to give us a way to select background objects by holding a modifier key as we click?  I'm thinking of Inkscape where you can hold Option/Alt and end up selecting deeper and deeper objects as you continue to click the same spot.  Works great - I'm going to submit this in the Feature Request form.  Feel free to submit a similar request; quantity counts, I'm told.

• 3. Re: Transparent buttons are all broken in FileMaker 12
              scottworld

Phil, your solution is not really an acceptable solution because it groups all the fields together. Then any time we want to make even the TINIEST change to even a SINGLE field, we have to ungroup all the fields, disable the button, make the change, reselect all the fields, recreate the button, and find the specific script that was attached to the button. We need to work with the fields individually all the time, while leaving the transparent button intact.

Dillik, that could be a workable solution. Anything to give us our sanity back in FM 12. Wouldn't it be nice if the people who worked at FileMaker, Inc. actually used FileMaker Pro? Unfortunately, they do not use FileMaker Pro so they don't even understand the product.

• 4. Re: Transparent buttons are all broken in FileMaker 12
                Dillik

Didn't see Phil's post when I posted.  I'm going to sheepishly volunteer that I haven't actually used transparent buttons in a long time either.  But I definitely agree that selecting background objects is unnecessarily difficult.  I guess you could always tab, if you felt like wearing your Tab key out.  I wouldn't group objects into a button, though, because setting the button back up (including parameters if present) is too big a pain.

• 5. Re: Transparent buttons are all broken in FileMaker 12
                  scottworld

Exactly. You can't constantly be uncreating a button and then recreating it again, and trying to remember the script you chose and the script parameters all over again.

I didn't know the trick about tabbing to different objects in layout mode... that could be helpful! Thanks! :)

• 6. Re: Transparent buttons are all broken in FileMaker 12
                    TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

This issue has already been reported on May 7, 2012 from your similar posting at:

Can't select objects in FM12 that were selectable in FM11

I'll keep you informed as more information becomes available.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Transparent buttons are all broken in FileMaker 12
                      philmodjunk

You can't constantly be uncreating a button and then recreating it again,

Actually, I do that all the time. I duplicate the field group, drag it to one side, ungroup the original group, make my changes and then refer to the copied group to correctly recreate the button setup--deleting the copied group before I save may changes.The ability to find the script for the button by entering a portion of the script's name makes this fairly painless in FileMaker 11 and 12.

I've offered this as a possible work around as this is something you can do right now while waiting for a bug fix that may or may not correct this issue.