Summary

Trouble creating base directories for externally stored container fields

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.10.2

Description of the issue

I want to store container data in a folder other than the one that holds the data base.

In manage containers storage I define a base directory such as /MacintoshHD/Users/Phil/Photos/Scanning/  (Phil is my user name.

In the Options Storage tab I reference this path, click Store container data externally and choose Open storage and provide a new path such as "Prints/Print/"

Expected result

Container data would be moved to a folder in another directory

Actual result

Error message below and nothing happens

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The target base directory /MacIntosh HD/User .... same name as mentioned above .../ could not be created.

Workaround

I have tried several variations of names working with both folders that exist and ones that I would like to have FMP create -- I get the same result.

If I select the option to store in the same directory as the database, the process works without any problem.

• 1. Re: Trouble creating base directories for externally stored container fields

Phillip Armstrong:

Thank you for the post.

I am unable to replicate. To attempt to replicate, I performed the following steps:

1. File > New Database > “ExternalStore.fmp12”

2. Created a container field called “Contain” and placed on the layout

3. File > Manage > Containers

4. Selected the base directory > Clicked “Edit…” > “Storage/“  > Clicked “OK” > Clicked “OK”

5. File > Manage > Database > Double-clicked “Contain” > “Storage” (pane) > Checked “Store container data externally” (Open) > relative to: “[database location]/Storage/“ > Clicked “OK”

6. New Record > Inserted File

Actual Result: A folder called “Storage” is created on the desktop with the externally stored data. 

Perhaps, I am missing a step to replicate?

Additionally, the following knowledge base article may be useful to review:

Storing container field data externally

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Trouble creating base directories for externally stored container fields
            pbarmst

My issue was to store the data in a different folder than the database. In other words the base directory definition would not begin with "[database location]".

I have no problem with the with the example you prepared.  How would I define a base directory in your step #4 that was in a different folder than the database?

• 3. Re: Trouble creating base directories for externally stored container fields

Philip Armstrong:

Thank you for the reply.

“How would I define a base directory in your step #4 that was in a different folder than the database?”

Specify the path to the folder you want. Say we want to create a folder on the root level of Macintosh HD.

The path would look something like: 

/FOLDER/

When I insert the first file after specifying this path, on my hard drive named Macintosh HD resides the following directory structure:

Macintosh HD/FOLDER/<database name>/<container name>/files.inserted

Let me know if any of the above requires additional clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.