Summary

Trouble sending email using smtp and windows 7

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I've set up a send email script step using smtp server settings and have found that it works on a Mac, but the same script fails with Unable to send email(s) message

Steps to reproduce the problem

See this post: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/08e657b92a

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Enable to send Email(s)

Configuration information

Windows 7 32 and 64 bit

Workaround

use email client seems to work, except one machine doesn't have a client to use, so no work around there

• 1. Re: Trouble sending email using smtp and windows 7
          TSGal

PJSpark:

Thank you for your post and link to the other forum thread.

Create and perform the following script:

Set Error Capture [On]
          Send Mail [ Send via SMTP Server; To: <your email address>; Subject: "TEST" ; Message: "TEST" ]
          Show Custom Dialog [ Get (LastError) ; Get (LastError) ]

-----

The error number will help narrow the focus to what is causing the emails to not be sent.

To change the email address for your forum account, go to:

http://help.filemaker.com

Click on the tab "Your Account" (login if you need to), and then click "Update your account settings".

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Trouble sending email using smtp and windows 7
            PJSpark

TSGal,

Thanks for the reply.

Error # is 1506

The Update Account panel is all read only. Unless its a browser issue. I've tried IE 9 and chrome.

EDIT: The top of these pages that have tabs for mystuff etc. displays about 7 banks of tabs, some duplicates in ie9, but not in chrome. However, in chrome after a page loads, it always jumps directly to a Filemaker search page hosted by google, and you have to hit back. Sorry for the off-topic.

• 3. Re: Trouble sending email using smtp and windows 7
              TSGal

PJSpark:

Thank you for the error code.

1506 is a generic error message.  In essence, the SMTP mail server is contacted and the information is sent to the mail server, but there is no acknowledgement back from the mail server that it received the information.  On a side note, a browser application plays no part in sending via SMTP.

In the Server Information, is there any encryption?  Authentication?  Are you using default port 25?  Are you entering information into Name, E-mail Address and/or Reply-To Address?  If so, remove and just use the To: field to send a test message to yourself.  You should receive an email that says "(No Sender)" or something to that effect.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Trouble sending email using smtp and windows 7
                PJSpark

TSGal,

I removed data from Name, email and replyto, but still get same message. Encryption is SSL, standard plain password authentication and the port is 465. These are what is set in the email client, and in the dlink security camera. Both these work. These settings also work on my Mac  on my home network through Filemaker.

• 5. Re: Trouble sending email using smtp and windows 7
                  TSGal

PJSpark:

My email client is set for SSL authentication using port 993, but I'm able to send mails via SMTP using default port 25 and no password.  Therefore, the settings are not the same.  Do you also have this ability?  Is the mail server local or external?  Can you check with the mail server administrator to see if the information is being captured?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Trouble sending email using smtp and windows 7
                    PJSpark

TSGal,

I tried port 993 and port 25. Neither of these work here. I tried the security camera, and it only works with the settings I have. Port 465, SSL and password. The server is external. My email client also won't send mail with anything other than 465, SSL and password.

Its odd. On one hand, it seems that FM isn't handling the SMTP properly, since email and the security camera work here, so not computer related. Yet if I load the same FM file onto the Mac, it does work. The common denominator seems to be FM and Windows machines.

• 7. Re: Trouble sending email using smtp and windows 7
                      TSGal

PJSpark:

Sorry for the confusion.  993 is an internal port for our mail server only, just like your port 465 is reserved for your mail server.  I didn't mean to suggest port 993 was something used universally.  Our port 993 requires authentication for sending out emails under our name, so our email client requires us to use this port.  The port 25 is general access to a lot of mail servers, and with our mail server, port 25 does not require any authentication.  I can then send out messages through port 25 if I don't need authentication or reference to the email.  Since port 25 fails for you, then your mail administrator may have this blocked.

Again, check with the mail administrator to see if the information is at least being received and why the information is dismissed/ignored.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.