Summary

Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2012

Description of the issue

After recovering from a system crash, FMS created a .dmp file in the logs directory.  My understanding is the FMI are the only ones who can read these. 

I'm requesting help in reading this file and diagnosing what exactly happened to cause this file to be written.  I can send the file through email, once I've been given instructions to where.

Steps to reproduce the problem

no way known.  This is the first time I've seen this file.

Expected result

To be able to read the file by myself instead of asking for help.

Actual result

N/A

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

That's what I'm asking help for

Configuration information

Windows Server 2012, 2 Xeon 2.5GHz processors, 24GB memory, virtually on a VMWare ESX host.

Workaround

N/A

• 1. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
          TSGal

BrentHedden1:

Thank you for your post.

Windows .dmp file can be opened with WinDbg utility.  You can download the Debugging Tools for Windows at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852365

If you are familiar enough with the Windows operating system, then you can let us know where in the operating system the crash is occurring.  If not, you can send in the crash file, along with the FileMaker Server logs.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page if you want to pursue the latter.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
            TSGal

BrentHedden1:

This issue has been fixed in FileMaker Server 14.0.1.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
              msbertrand

Good day,

I am using FM 13, 14 and 15 and all my fm logs have DMP files, except for a test server that does not uses server level script. 

One server is now having issue with CPU showing FM Server running 100%.  I have the logs and dmp files, where can I send this?

Regards

• 4. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
                TSGal

msbertrand:

Before sending in the log files and DMP files, what can you tell me about the server in general?  What operating system?  Any other applications running?  Any firewall?  Any virus detection software?

Do you notice the CPU usage for FileMaker Server increasing?  Do you have any External Data Sources?  Do you have any OnTimer scripts?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
                  msbertrand

Tks much, here is the picture;

Virtual Server - Windows

- OS Server 2012 R2 - Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67 GHz - Ram 16 GB - 64 Bit

- Running Symantec Protection

- No other running apps

- Dedicated to FM Server

- FM Server 15 V 15.0.3.308

- ODBC to SQL

- Using CNS BarCode Server - using 'Perform Script on Server'

- Various Schedule, 4 frequently and 1 to ODBC (pull data)

- No On Timer Script (server and/or client)

- Web (PHP Only) is enable, but not used yet

Issue appear to start overnight, yet I 'may' have found an issue with infinite loop.  I resolved it, and looking for test results.

The issue with CPU appeared nearly instantly with the addition of this new script and infinite loop, which I know will cause the server to over process.  Yet, the issue was reproduced without the schedules running (FMS Script Engine OFF). 

Your thoughts, appreciated!

• 6. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
                    TSGal

msbertrand:

From page 74 of the FileMaker Server 15 Getting Started Guide:

"Do not allow antivirus software to scan the folders that contain hosted database files or the folders that contain files for container fields that store data externally. Antivirus software may cause file corruption if you allow real-time or on-access virus scanning while files are being hosted to users. With real-time scanning, the virus scanner may spend large amounts of time scanning the database files. This scanning places a heavy load on the server’s disk, memory, and processor. "

Which ODBC driver are you using?  What SQL data source are you using?

At what point do you see the CPU starting to increase/peak?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
                      msbertrand

Will look at Anti Virus...

ODBC is SQL Server V 6.03.9600.17415, not sure about the SQL datasource, the person that setup is no longer here and I am not familiar with the deployment.

However, I noticed the issue appear to be gone and I think it may have been caused by an infinite loop on server schedule script. 

The ODBC is also temporary and until we go live, around September.  Another deployment here also uses the same ODBC connection but never had any issue.  I doubt this would be the origin.

Regards

• 8. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
                        TSGal

msbertrand:

Thanks for the update.

Microsoft SQL Server V 6 is fine.  I just wanted to make sure you were connecting to a supported ESS Data source (Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL).  Since another deployment has never encountered an issue with the ODBC connection, the ODBC driver can be ruled out as a possible cause.

If the issue occurs again, gather as much information possible including what clients may have been doing just prior to the slowdown/crash/etc.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Trying to read a .dmp file that was created by FM Server
                          msbertrand

Tks much, very stable now.  I am quite sure it was a script issue now as no repeat yet.

Regards