AnsweredAssumed Answered

Two instances of FMP 10Adv think the other instance is their client

Question asked by philmodjunk on Mar 13, 2009
Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 by philmodjunk

Summary

Two instances of FMP 10Adv think the other instance is their client

Description of the issue

This is a strange one. It's unlikely to happen to casual users, but if you are a developer working with DB files that will be shared via FMserver, it could happen to you... 1) open a database file with FMP 10 and make sure sharing is turned on.2) choose open remote... I now see the TCP/IP number for my computer in the Hosts list and click it3) I see the file I have just opened in the available files list and open it. I now have two instances of the same file open on the same computer. If I try to quit FMP, I am trapped because both instances perceive themselves as the host of the other and demand the other be closed first which leaves be caught in an endless series of "send message" and "Close Now" dialog boxes. My only option is to use Task Manager to force Filemaker to quit which might corrupt my file. Now I can hear people saying "but I would never ever do that...." The above description is the simplest way to reproduce what I am reporting. I encountered it by accident while working with a local copy of a file that contained scripts to open other files that were accessible over the network as the current copies were being hosted on another computer via Filemaker Server 10. I opened a local file (file 1) and clicked a button whose script opened a different hosted file (file 2). I then clicked a button in file 2 that should have opened a hosted copy of file 1. Instead, it opened a 2nd instance of the local file 1 and trapped me. Technical Details:Client machine was running FMP 10adv on Windows XP Professional, service pack 3Server machine was running FMP 10 Server on Windows Server 2003 standard edition, service pack 2. The button triggered scripts were opening files via Perform external script/ Select Window script steps. (The select window script steps will hide this from the user as they bring the original window to the front and leave the 2nd instance hidden.)

Outcomes