9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 8:21 AM by AmiYalon

Typing Delay

erwinthos

Summary

Typing Delay

Description of the issue

I recently upgraded to Filemaker 10. I have a volume license and use a database server which is hosted on an iMac running system 10.4.11. I first upgraded to Filemaker 10 without upgrading the server. I have a large field that contains a running chronology of events that occur with reference to each client and text is added to the field often. After I upgraded to Filemaker 10, there is often a lag between when I type and when the characters appears in the field. Sometimes I wait 10 seconds for what I have typed to appear. In an attempt to remedy the situation, I upgraded the server to version 10 but the problem persists. Staff in the office has gone back to using Filemaker 9 in frustration. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Typing Delay
          TSGal

erwinthos:

Thank you for your post.

This was reported previously with a user who had thousands of characters in a text field. 

How many characters are in the field?  Is this a repeating field?

Yes, the text engine is FileMaker Pro 9 is quicker than FileMaker Pro 10.  There is no workaround at this time.  You can either switch back to FileMaker Pro 9, or change your design in FileMaker Pro 10 and put the different events into another table linked to the original table.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Typing Delay
            erwinthos
               I can't tell you the number of characters but the delay just happened to me in a field that had the equivalent of two type written pages in it. It is not a repeating field. Potentially there might be up to the equivalent of 5 type written pages in the field. I should mention that the iMac that runs the server runs no other programs and has an Intel 1.83 GHz core 2 Duo with 512 MB of RAM 
            • 3. Re: Typing Delay
              TSGal

erwinthos:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have forwarded it onto our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  If I hear anything, I will report back.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Typing Delay
                erwinthos

TSGal -

In your prior response you indicated that I might "change [my] design in FileMaker Pro 10 and put the different events into another table linked to the original table." Can you explain more what you mean or direct me to an article or other source that might help me. I'm not sure why you reference "events" or "tables". The problem is with a simple but large text field.

Thanks for your attention.

erwinthos 

• 5. Re: Typing Delay
                  TSGal

erwinthos:

In your Client table, you have this field that has all the events in it.  You could use a separate Event table that includes the date and the event.  These two tables could be linked together by some common "key" field.  If you have a Client ID field, you could create a Client ID field in the Event table to act as the "key" field.

So what does this do....  Instead of adding information into the text field, you would add a record into the Event table.  I know you are used to putting all the event information into the one text field, but what if you wanted to report how many events occurred on March 18, 2009?  You would have to search through each of these records for 3/18/2009 and count the occurrences.  If you had these events in an Event table, you could find and summarize them quite easily.  Plus, you could report which client is assigned to which Event, since you are now linked by Client ID.

Even if you decide not to use a second file, perform the following steps...

1. Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database..."

2. Click on the Tables tab, and create a new table "Event"

3. Click on the Fields tab, and create the following fields:

Client ID (Text)

Event (Text)

Date (Date)

4. Click on the Relationships tab, and you will see a graphical representation of your tables.  If you don't have a Client ID field in your Client table, then go back and select the Client table and add the field Client ID (Text) and then return to the Relationships tab.

5. Find the Client ID field in Client table and click drag it to the Client ID field in the Event table.  When you let go, both of those fields will jump up to the top of those tables, and a line is connecting the two tables.

6. Halfway between the two tables on that line is an icon.  Double-click this and an Edit Relationship dialog box appears.  On one side will have the Client table, and the other side will have the Event table.  At the bottom of the Event table, put a check mark in the option "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship".  This allows you to add records to the Event table while you are in the Client table.

7. Click OK a couple of times and return to the layout with the Client information.

8. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".

9. Along the top of the window, there are a number of icons.  Put your cursor over one of the icons, and in about a second, a tooltip appears telling you what each tool is used for.  We want to select the Portal tool, which is towards the middle-right.

10. Once you have selected the Portal tool, move your cursor to an empty area on your layout, and you will see your cursor is a crosshair.  Click down and drag diagonally, and a box will be displayed.  When you let go, a "Portal Setup" dialog box appears.  In the pop-up box at the top for "Show related records from:", select the Event table and click OK.  A new dialog box appears.  Select the Date and Event fields, and click OK.

11. Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode".

12. As a test, go to a client record to test this out.  You can put your cursor directly into the Date field in the portal and start entering information.  Enter 3/18/2009 and "Test Event".  This information is now linked to this client record.  If you go to a previous record, there is nothing in the portal.  When you come back to the original record, you will see the data appears.

This is a crash course, and I don't expect you to understand everything, so if you need clarification, please let me know.  Also, at any time, you can remove the portal from the layout if you decide you don't want to use it.

This will definitely help with the speed issues.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Typing Delay
                    erwinthos

TSGal:

I got to step 10 and selected Date and Event fields and clicked okay.  It did create a field on the layout in Clients but after returning to browse mode, I could not enter data. Decided that I should probably have "moved" Date and Event fields so I did do so and then went back to browse mode and still got a field that I could not enter data in. 

What am I missing?

erwinthos 

• 7. Re: Typing Delay
                      TSGal

erwinthos:

I'm glad you are attempting this.

Go back to step #6.  In the Portal Setup dialog, either the left side or right side will have information about the Client table, while the other side has information about the Event table.  At the bottom for the Event table side, put a check mark into the option "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship".  This will allow you to add records to the Event table from the Client table portal.  Otherwise, you won't have the ability to add records, and this appears to be happening to you after step #10.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Typing Delay
                        erwinthos
                           I did follow through with your suggestion but it really is not a work around for my situation. What I really need is a type engine that will keep up with my typing which is barely better than two finger typing. My own solution is to open a document in pages, type my entry and then copy and past it into the field in Filemaker Pro. Inelegant, time consuming and not something that I should have to do to be able to use a major upgrade to the product - but faster than waiting for my typing to appear and then finding that much of what I typed was not recorded. Ultimately I suspect that I will be going back to Filemaker 9.
                        • 9. Re: Typing Delay
                          AmiYalon

Hi,

I have seen this happen too. It has nothing to do with layout design. It happens with a new table, and a single field. The same database will work fine on another computer. I am using version 11. It is computer specific, as if it has a problem with other programs, such as Adobe. My only guess is a memory related issue, but definately very annoying.

Ami