5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 10:29 AM by JimMac

UI Requires Two Clicks from an Active Drop-Down List to the Next Field

swisskent

Summary

UI Requires Two Clicks from an Active Drop-Down List to the Next Field

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 11.0v1 Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.5.8, Mac 10.6.3 Detailed description of the issue:Since upgrading to FileMaker Pro 11 from 10, I have noticed users have to click twice when going from a field with a displayed (active) drop-down list to the next field.  In FileMaker Pro 10 and previous versions, a user only need click once to proceed to the target field. This issue happens in Browse and Find Modes. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create a database with two fields in the default table (e.g. fields = "Product Name" & "Color")2.  In Layout Mode, add a value list with drop-down to the "Color" field (e.g. values = "yellow", "blue", "red")3.  In Browse Mode, Form View, add a new record and populate both fields4.  Commit the record5.  Click into the field with the drop-down list (e.g. "Color") so the drop-down list shows its values 6.  Now, click on the other field (e.g. "Product Name"); the first click dismisses the drop-down list but keeps focus on its field; it takes another click on the target field (e.g. "Product Name") to select that field Expected Result:As with previous versions of FileMaker Pro, the user interface should require only one click to navigate from an active drop-down list to the next field a user clicks on. Actual Result:The user interface currently requires a user to click twice to navigate from an active drop-down list to the next field. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/A Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:N/A Any workarounds that you have found:None that I know of.

• 1. Re: UI Requires Two Clicks from an Active Drop-Down List to the Next Field
          TSGal

swisskent:

Thank you for your post.

This has been previously reported.  Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue, and I have attached your post to the origiinal case.  When more information becomes available for you, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: UI Requires Two Clicks from an Active Drop-Down List to the Next Field
            philmodjunk

Are we talking pop up menu or drop down list here? On my Windows machine, I see this behavior on the pop-up not the drop down.

• 3. Re: UI Requires Two Clicks from an Active Drop-Down List to the Next Field
              TSGal

PhilModJunk:

This is a drop down formatted field, and it occurs on Mac only.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: UI Requires Two Clicks from an Active Drop-Down List to the Next Field
                JimMac

I have been asked to respond to Bug reports for Mac errors.Innocent

This is a Standared AppleOS drop down menu, drawn and click detected by AppleOS, not FMP.

AppleOS detects the user clicking outside the drop down menu "rectangle", assumes the user changed his mind, removes the menu and moves on.

FMP program never knows the user didn't select a list item.

FMP cannot correct this!

AppleOS does this to assure Application to Application consistency. Clicking or in fact mouse down moves that exceed the menu "Rectangle" and highlighting items, type aheads, etc. are all done by AppleOS, not FMP.

Try this simple example:

1) Create a FMP window with a standard button.

2) In browse mode Click and HOLD on the Button.... Dont release the mouse down!

Observe the button is Greyed out.  This is an AppleOS subroutine doing the Grey, not FMP

3) Now move the mouse outside the bounding rectangle for the button.  Still holding the mouse button down.

Observe the botton now returns to normal color.  You, the user, just changed your mind and decided not to launch the Nuke missle... whewSurprised

4) Now release the mouse outside and note that the FMP did not perform button action

Only when AppleOS detects a properly executed by user, full button click does FMP receive an User Event.

Jim.... 

Jim...

• 5. Re: UI Requires Two Clicks from an Active Drop-Down List to the Next Field
                  JimMac

I futher discussions about my Bug resolution answer above, I want to clairfy a bit more.

If you follow AppleOS guidlines then...

FMP11 or higher Actions is Correct, past versions actions were the Bug.

A AppleOS guideline that FMP follows perfectly in all FMP version,  in dealing with drop downlist is...

Tab Key...

User in all AppleOS followed applications moves to next in list 

And Shift Tab..

moves to Previous in list 

A mouse click outside the drop down list should maintain FOCUS on that field to allow manual entry [Apple rule, not mine].

Apple has succeed in their approach to make all Apple guideline products consisitent behavior thus making the user happy with "application to application behavior" the same.

So..

FMP has to decide what to do with the "outside the Drop Down List Rectangle" click event.  Just think about the possibilites inside the FMP window for a second..

1) Click on a Control

2) Click on field

3) Select and check box

4) Zoom the window

5) Click on Window background to cause a "Commit Record" ...Surprised

OR...

Select the field in Focus...

I hope this is a clearer explanation.

Jim...