FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v5

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.10.2

Description of the issue

Unable to connect to a MySQL database using ODBC

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have MySQL Workbench and MySQL Connector (mysql-connector-odbc-5.3.4-osx10.7-x86-32bit.dmg) installed.

I also have ODBC Manager installed.

I have created a database on MySQL.

The MySQL server is started and I am able to connect to the database using both MySQL Workbench as well as Toad for MySQL.

I can see the System DSN and Drivers in the ODBC Manager.

I am attempting to connect to my database from FileMaker Pro and have followed the instructions from the following page -

http://www.filemaker.com/help/11/fmp/html/odbc_ess.20.3.html#1027612

but am not able to connect my FMP application to the database.

In FMP, I select:

File > Manage > External Data Sources

The Manage External Data Sources window is displayed with nothing appearing in the list,

I click on the "New..." button.

The Edit Data Source window appears, again, nothing appearing in the list.

I enter a value in the "Name:" field and select the ODBC radio button and then click on the "Specify..." button, which displays the Select ODBC Data Source window, with nothing appearing in the list.

• 1. Re: Unable to connect to ODBC - My SQL
          TSGal

Jim Palmer:

Thank you for your post.

First, the link you provided is for FileMaker Pro 11, even though there hasn't been much change in FileMaker Pro 13.

Second, we support MySQL Connector/ODBC version 5.2.4 (32-bit) for Windows, and Actual Open Source 3.2.0 for Mac.  For complete information on supported drivers, see Knowledge Base Article #6420 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420

Therefore, install and configure the correct driver using the following Help link:

http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fmp/en/html/odbc_ess.20.2.html#1027549

Let me know if you continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Unable to connect to ODBC - My SQL
            JimPalmer

I downloaded and installed the Actual Open Source 3.2.0 for Mac.

I followed the instructions found for the Help link.

When I start FMP and try to get the application to connect to my database as follows:

File > Manage > External Data Sources
            The Manage External Data Sources window is displayed with nothing appearing in the list,
            I click on the "New..." button.
            The Edit Data Source window appears, again, nothing appearing in the list.
            I enter a value in the "Name:" field and select the ODBC radio button and then click on the "Specify..." button, which displays the Select ODBC Data Source window, with nothing appearing in the list.

Still struggling

• 3. Re: Unable to connect to ODBC - My SQL
              TSGal

Jim Palmer:

Did you re-establish the connection with the new driver?  Did the DSN successfully test connect?  Perhaps a screen shot of ODBC Manager with the drive installed under a system DSN?

Try connecting to a FileMaker Pro database file to make sure at least the FileMaker ODBC driver is working.  That is, set up a new FileMaker database file and turn on ODBC Sharing.  Then, go into ODBC Manager and connect to that new database file.  From your original database file, try connecting to the new database file.  Does this work?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Unable to connect to ODBC - My SQL
                JimPalmer

Finally got it to work.

I determined that the login credentials were incorrect, so the ODBC connection wasn't being displayed because there wasn't a connection.

Working now.

Thanks,

Jim P.