JohnBarry

Summary

unable to connect to server

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I have been running FileMaker 7 on OS 10.4, but the computer died. I installed FileMaker Server 7 on a Mac running OS 10.5.8. When I try to connect to the server. all I get is a Favorite Server that will not open, and that I have no idea where the number comes from. Nothing shows up under Local Servers, and I can't add anything under Servers Listed by LDAP.
      Customer service wasn't able to help me and suggested I try this forum. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is a problem and how to get around it. I very much need to get FileMaker back up and running.

• 1. Re: unable to connect to server
          philmodjunk

I don't know if FileMaker  Server 7 is compatible with OS 10.5.8 or not.

Here is one possibility. It's a bit of a long shot as I don't know if this issue occurred in version 7 or not:

For More Information see:    Can't login to FMS database on new Mac, other Macs can

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: unable to connect to server
            JohnBarry

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have already found out that it will not run on 10.5. I temporarily have it back up in 10.3.9 until I get a "New" computer with 10.4 on it again. That will be tomorrow. I had several months ago emailed FM support about the compatibility question, but they didn't know. – now we do!

• 3. Re: unable to connect to server
              philmodjunk

Consider that you can only host this database from a machine with an older version of the OS. What will you do when you can no longer get new hardware that runs 10.4?

I strongly recommend that you start scraping up the $$ and skills to upgrade to the newest version of FileMaker. You don't want to put yourself in a situation where you have to make such an upgrade on a crash basis.

• 4. Re: unable to connect to server
                JohnBarry

For the last three years I've had the job of keeping all of the machines we have running until this coming August or September. At that time the "new" press will be paid off and I can start getting new computers and software for everyone. I use my own 3 month old MacBookPro running Mavericks, with Adobe CC software, Quark 10, etc. Soon I can stop climbing the walls and get the rest of the shop up to date, or at least closer to me. In the meantime, I do what I need to, to stay operational, in a stressful situation at times. Thanks for your thoughts.

• 5. Re: unable to connect to server
                  philmodjunk

OK, then here's a free method to start testing your files and making sure there are no issues when it comes time to convert the files to the newer file format:

Download a copy of the free 30 day trial of FileMaker 13. Use it to open some back up copies of your files and test them to see if the converted copies have any issues. This way, you can set up a "punch list" of any fixes or adjustments you need to put into the converted files before the time arrives to make the upgrade.

Here's a knowledgebase article on the conversion process. http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10571/kw/converting

Be prepared to invest some time into testing and updating the converted files. The KB articles covers many, but not all of the possible issues. Feel free to post back here with any issues you encounter that don't seem to have been covered by the KB article.

• 6. Re: unable to connect to server
                    TSGal

John Barry:

Thank you for your posts.

FileMaker Server 7 was tested under Mac OS X 10.2.8 and Mac OS X Server 10.2.8.  For more information, see page 14 of the FileMaker Server 7 Administrator's Guide at:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fm7_install_new_features.pdf

Mac OS X 10.3 was compatible with later updates (FileMaker Server 7.0v3).

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.