unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

windows xp service pack 3

Description of the issue

I set up an externally stored container field and inserted a video using the Insert -> Audio/video command. The video will play correctly on a Mac but will not play on the PC that was used to upload/insert the video. It appears and behaves as if the video was loaded into the container but when you clock play with 'ready' in the window, it flashes something in the window but doesn't play. The same video will play when stored as a reference. I am a FM newbie and not particularly well versed on PCs (mac person). PhilModJunk has been very helpful to me in getting as far as showing the externally stored container fields can be used for video storage (long thread titled) converting existing linked container data to externally....

the original goal of my efforts was to address lack of cross platform functionality with the video files stored by reference.
      thank you in advance
      -jim

Steps to reproduce the problem

upload a video on a PC to the externally stored container field and attempt to play the video.

Expected result

The video should play on a PC just as it does on a Mac.

Actual result

Video does not play on a PC. Video will play on a mac.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error messages

Workaround

phenomenology - The video plays on a PC using either quick time or Real Player outside of the context of FM. This is true on either Mac or PC.

• 1. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
          jimnagle

additional information - FM (on the PC) seems to prefer to open Windows Media Player instead of QuickTime even though QT has been set as the default application for the .mov file type. The first time you try to play a file, you get a Window Media Player error message that states the file extension and file format do not match and that playing the file will result in unexpected behavior. What is confounding about that is that the file is a .mov file and simply double clicking this file outside of FM launches Quick Time and not WMP. The video in that case plays normally.

• 2. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
            TSGal

jim nagle:

Thank you for your posts.

Make sure ports 80 and 443 are not blocked to the server where the external container data is stored.

Outside of FileMaker Pro, are you able to open the .mov file in Windows Media Player?

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
              jimnagle

Thank you for getting back to me TSGal,

I will check with my IT support folks re ports 80 and 443. Not sure how to check their status. Or is this something I can check myself in FM?

Windows Media Player will not open the .mov file (outside of Filemaker) that I am trying to store/play in FileMaker. Perhaps I was misinformed but QuickTime was set as the default player on this PC for files that have the .mov extension. Yet when you store and try to play back a file with that .MOV extension, FM tries to use Windows Media Player instead of what should be the default player (Quick Time) for that file format. I was told FM should use the default player for a given file format. No?

edit to add - Actually a similar thing happens on the mac as well. Once FM decides on an app to play videos on a particular computer, it appears to always use the same app for the videos in that container field in different records. For better or worse, the solution we are using has a large number of videos spanning a number of years and they are in various diverse file formats. I hope this is something FM can handle otherwise perhaps we are looking at having to standardize the video archive to just 1-2 formats. Right now it does not appear to me that a single format works on both platforms (mac/PC). I hope that does not turn out to be the case.

• 4. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                Fred(CH)

Hello Jim,

Just to complete TSGal answer, AFAIK, port 16000 must also be opened. More info here.

And to answer your question "how to test by myself", another way is to create a small local file with one interactive container and do the tests locally.

Thus, you could eliminate network or server causes and focusing onto file type / platform considerations. A little challenge in itself wink.

Good luck,

Fred

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

• 5. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                  jimnagle

I do not believe the problems in playing videos is a connectivity problem between FM and the server storing the videos. I can load a video right from the computer I am using and it behaves identically.

It seems to purely be an issue of FM not being nimble in its choice of applications to play the video. If I choose a video of .wmv format on the PC, it plays just fine since FM on the PC appears to use Windows Media Player. If I try to view a video of .mov format, it plays just fine on the Mac where FM uses QuickTIme, but not on the PC. Since the Mac is using QuickTime which is more permissive in terms of the filetypes it can use, it does not appear to be a significant problem, as long as you are on a Mac. Since I was tasked with getting this solution to work in a more robust fashion, cross platform performance has been a focus. The group using the solution has users that prefer either platform.

It appears to me it would solve everything if FM on the PC would simply use QuickTime to play these videos as opposed to using WMP. Or if it would recognize what is the default player for each given file type rather than simply choosing WMP regardless of file type.

As I may have mentioned above, our video archive contains videos collected over many years in a diverse array of formats.

• 6. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                    TSGal

jim nagle:

.mov files should be play in an Interactive Container field in FileMaker Pro 12.  Here is what I did:

1. In FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 under Windows 7, I created a database file (12.fmp12) with a Container field named "Container".

2. Under Options, I clicked the Storage tab, and under Container section, I entered a checkmark next to "Store container data externally" and left the default at "Secure storage".

3. In Layout Mode, I sized "Container" and formatted it for Interactive content.

4. I turned on Network Sharing for All users.

5. I copied the file to a Windows Server 2008 machine with FileMaker Server 12.0.5.551, launched Admin Console, and opened the file.

6. I accessed the file from Mac OS X 10.9.2 using FileMaker Pro 12.0v5, added a record, pulled down the Insert menu, selected Audio/Video, and selected a .mov file.  I then clicked outside the field to commit the record.

7. I returned to my Windows 7 machine, launched FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4, and accessed the hosted file.  The one record was appearing and the .mov file was playable and visible.  (See screen shot below).

I do not have QuickTime installed on my Windows 7 machine; only Windows Media Player.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                      philmodjunk

@jim

I apologize for the misinformation in the originating thread over in the FM Forum. Since opening a file from a container opens it with the application specified as the default in the machines OS settings, I assumed that this was also the case for playing a movie in an Interactive Container field.

I now stand corrected.

• 8. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                        jimnagle

just typed a long answer during which I got interrupted and then when I posted, my login had expired and the post was lost.

Here is what I can tell you in as much a nutshell as I can.

The mechanics of FM accessing the videos appears to work correctly. But as Phil seems to have now said, when I go to play a video, FM does not appropriately chose an application according to what the OS defaults are for that file format. On PCs, it always uses WMP. If there is no way to get FM to use QuickTime on a PC, then some other workaround appears to be necessary.

I'm thinking a possible work-around is to continue to use the existing referenced container field when accessing the solution from a PC. When accessing from a Mac, use an added externally stored interactive container field on an additional layout. It would seem redundant but if it works...

This would create a possible issue of having to insert new videos 2x, once for either of the container fields that works for the different platforms. Or perhaps a more knowledgeable FM professional can come up with a more elegant work-around.

ps @Phil - apology accepted - thanks for bearing with me through all this.

pps- @TSGal - very curious how FM is playing a .mov file in a windows environment with/without QT on the machine. I followed very similar steps to what you describe (in the lost post) and FM always uses WMP on the PC. If I open WMP separately, outside of FM, it won't play a .mov file there either leading me to conclude that the issue is the player FM decides to use for the interactive container field videos and not an accessibility issue.

• 9. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                          jimnagle

Did some more playing around with the solution. Here is an interesting confound. If I go back and change the container file to one stored by reference, FileMaker uses QT to play the inserted  .mov file. This makes me wonder if there isn't some solution to this problem.

• 10. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                            philmodjunk

Jim, Please note that TSGal is able to play the quick time movie on a windows system while using what seems to be the same settings as yours. I think the two of you are going to have to continue comparing notes and she might want to see your file.

just typed a long answer during which I got interrupted and then when I posted, my login had expired and the post was lost.

This issue has been driving me absolutely nuts over the last two weeks. It's always been a problem, but it's gone from a once a day problem to multiple times a day. I'm going to make a post on this in the FM Pro Forum section to ask others to comment if they've had the same problem.

I'm hoping that this will enable us to identify the common factors (OS? Browser name and version? .... ) that might be needed before this problem occurs as the Right Now programmers are saying that they can't reproduce this issue--even though it's been reported to them since soon after this forum started using their software.

Please look for that thread and add your comments to it.

• 11. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                              jimnagle

I'm happy to share with TSGal anything that would be helpful. I passed along her responses (actually a link to this thread) to the IT guy who has been helping me. My IT guy did not think this has anything to do with portals. The one major difference between what TSGal did and what i am doing was that she used secure storage and I used open storage. I will consult with my IT guy after he has had a chance to review what she posted. Actually I can go ahead and create another container field with secure storage and see if that makes any difference.

Re my lost post - I am using Firefox on a Mac with OS 10.6.8

• 12. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                                philmodjunk

Re my lost post - I am using Firefox on a Mac with OS 10.6.8

Thank you, but please post that info here: Has this happened to you? Logged out and comment lost

I've passed that link to ModMan, the forum moderator so that he can use the data collected there when communicating with Right Now about this issue.

• 13. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                                  jimnagle

I have now tried switching the externally stored container field to secure storage. I get the same result. FMP used Windows Media Player regardless of file format inserted.

.mov will not play. .wmv files will play (from a PC platform). On a Mac, QuickTime is used resulting in a different set of videos formats being functional as opposed to non-functional.

I don't know if this could have anything to do with this phenomenon but there is a button function to place videos in the container field. I did not use that button function to insert the video. I used insert -> audio/video. I also tried insert file which does place the file into the container, but when clicked on, no video player is launched and nothing happens.

Both the insert clip button and the delete clip button work on the original container fields for videos that were in the solution when I started working with it as well as new container fields I created in the solution in my efforts to get videos to play across platforms.

• 14. Re: unable to get externally stored videos from container field to play
                                    TSGal

jim nagle:

No need for a sample file at this time.  I have an inquiry into Development about what interface is being used for external storage.  For files stored by reference, it would make sense that the default application would be used.  I'll keep you updated.

As far as being signed off during a post, we are aware of this issue.  We are working with RightNow/Oracle (the vendor responsible for our forum) to try and get this resolved.  This also affects us when replying.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next