1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 1:44 AM by SteveBarriff

Unable to import Bento database

StuartHaas

Summary

Unable to import Bento database

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

OS X 10.6

Description of the issue

I am unable to import a Bento Database. I have Bento 3.0.4 installed.

When I try to import a Bento database, I am not able to and I get the following message: "You must have Bento 2 (or a later supported version) installed on this computer."

How can I fix this?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Start FileMaker Pro -> FileMaker Quick Start -> Convert an Existing FIle -> Select Bento file.

Expected result

Able to open Bento database.

Actual result

Fail.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

You must have Bento 2 (or a later supported version) installed on this computer.

Workaround

NONE!

• 1. Re: Unable to import Bento database
          philmodjunk

Close the Bento file first, then use Filemaker to import the data.

• 2. Re: Unable to import Bento database
            StuartHaas

Right, The docs are pretty clear that Bento needs to be closed, and I also tried working from a backup of the Bento file with no luck, so that is not the issue.

• 3. Re: Unable to import Bento database
              philmodjunk

Apologies.

This type of problem and error message has been reported several times here to the forum. In each of the previous posts, the problem was due to the user leaving Bento open when they attempted to import the data. Yours is the first I know of where this error message appeared in the file was closed during the attempted import.

• 4. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                StuartHaas

I was not able to solve this problem. I had to move the Bento database to another computer and then import and then copy back the file. An awkward workaround.

• 5. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                  TSGal

Stuart Haas:

Thank you for your posts.

If you had to copy the bento.bentodb file to another machine, then there may be something wrong with the user account in the original machine.  Try running Disk Utility (Hard Disk -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility), select the hard disk and click "Repair Disk Permissions".  Also, there are a couple of Bento preference files located:

User Account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plist
                  User Account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.gnlogger.plist

Launch Bento again to create the first preference file, and then quit.  Now, launch FileMaker Pro and try importing the Bento Data Source again.  Does this work?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                    StuartHaas

I think the issue was that FileMaker ONLY looks for the Bento file in the default Bento folder. Of course, my file was not there, but in another location. I think there is a design flaw in FileMaker where this is not clear. The import dialog allows you to browse to a folder, then change the file type and gives the wrong error message. This really is a bug and needs to be addressed in the documentation and in the import faculties.

• 7. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                      TSGal

Stuart Haas:

Thank you for your comments.

I have sent your post, along with my comments, to our Documentation department so this can be mentioned in future Help.  Also, I have sent a suggestion to our Development department about changing the dialog box when a bento.bentodb file is not found in the default location.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Unable to import Bento database

I have the same issue. I removed the preference files listed here then restarted Bento, then closed Bento, then opened Filemaker and attempted to Import Bento data and got the same result.

I've been running the same imports for months and this message pops up each and every time now:

"You must have Bento 2 (or a later supported version) installed on this computer."

I run Mac OS X 10.6.4, Bento 3.0.5 and Filemaker Pro 11.0v2.

HELP!!

• 9. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                          TSGal

All:

We have discovered that there are a combination of things that are affecting the import of Bento files into FileMaker.

If you have updated to iLife '11 and the new iPhoto, FileMaker will not import a Bento Data Source.

If you have updated to Bento 3.0.5, FileMaker Will not import a Bento Data Source.

Until this is resolved, please export the data from Bento to a comma-separated values (CSV) file, and then use FileMaker Pro to import the CSV file.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                            bigJ

TSGal, would the Bento collections be lost in the import process anyway?  If so, then I will stop waiting for an update and go ahead and import my data via a CSV file.

Anyway to revert back to my Bento 2 and to get an extension on my FM trial so that I can test this out?

• 11. Re: Unable to import Bento database

The problem with the CSV import is that every field is considered text and if Filemaker is expecting a number then the import fails at least it does for Bento's currency fields.

It's bad enough that Filemaker can't import a file from Apple's iWork spreadsheet program Numbers but this failure shows inadequate testing with Filemaker's/Apple's own products.

I hope a fix is coming quick.  This is killing me.

• 12. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                                CortjanKoppen

Same problem here; although I don't have iLife'11 I do have Bento 3.05.

Is there any view about the timing of the solution coming from FileMaker Inc, other than a work around? Several Bento3 databases wait to get imported by FileMaker Pro11 and for obvious reasons I like to skip the CSV-route.

If it will take really long to have this fixed, I consider to stick with Bento3, which of course is a poor solution.

• 13. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                                  TSGal

All:

This issue is caused by Bento 3.0.5 and the changes it made to the bento.bentodb database file.

If you still have a Bento 3 application prior to Bento 3.0v5 AND a backup Bento database file that was not updated to Bento 3.0v5 format, then use the prior version with the backup until this is resolved.

Bento Development and the Bento Product Manager are very aware of this issue and its impact.  No other information is available at this time.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Unable to import Bento database
                                    TSGal

All:

One of our developers asked "Isn't this a one-time occurrence for customers moving from Bento to FileMaker Pro"?

I gave one possible scenario, but I don't want to mention it here to pollute your answers.  That is, please give me your feedback why you are importing a Bento Data Source.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next