3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 11:17 AM by philmodjunk

Unable to launch Adobe Reader X to view PDF file using FMP 13 on Windows 7 64-bit

guyscharf

Summary

Unable to launch Adobe Reader X to view PDF file using FMP 13 on Windows 7 64-bit

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit

Description of the issue

When I attempt to launch Adobe Reader X to view a PDF file on FMP 13 Advanced, Send Event returns error 3.  If I use File/Save Records as PDF/[x]Automatically Open File, the file is not opened.

If I set the Windows file association to some other PDF viewer, both work fine.  I have tried Firefox, FoxIt Reader, and PDF X-Change Viewer and found these all work.  It is only Adobe Reader that does not launch.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Send Event ["aevt"; "odoc"; "report.pdf"]
      or
      use File/Save Records as PDF/[x]Automatically Open File

Expected result

PDF viewer should open and display the file

Actual result

Send Event returns error code 3 and PDF file is not displayed

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

Acrobat Reader X 10.1.10

Workaround

Use a different PDF viewer

• 1. Re: Unable to launch Adobe Reader X to view PDF file using FMP 13 on Windows 7 64-bit
          philmodjunk

If you double click a PDF file on your desktop, does Acrobat Reader X launch?

Is Acrobat Reader installed on this computer?

Using FileMaker 13 advanced on a Windows 7 system, I used insert file, store a reference, to insert a PDF file into a container field. When I double clicked the container field, Acrobat Reader 10 launched and opened the file.

• 2. Re: Unable to launch Adobe Reader X to view PDF file using FMP 13 on Windows 7 64-bit
            guyscharf

Yes, Adobe Reader X is installed and apparently works properly (double-click on a PDF file from Windows Explorer launches as expected, as does typing a PDF file name at a command prompt).  It is just Send Event and the "open automatically" features of FMP that were not working.  I've not tried the container technique you used.

But you do bring up the possibility that the problem is an individual configuration issue.  While Adobe Reader X reported that no updates were available, I uninstalled and re-installed it anyway.  The Adobe re-installation routine installed Adobe Reader XI rather than X.  And version XI does work properly with FMP 13 in my tests.

Updating to Adobe Reader XI is an acceptable solution for my use, so I am not going to pursue further what was happening with X.

• 3. Re: Unable to launch Adobe Reader X to view PDF file using FMP 13 on Windows 7 64-bit
              philmodjunk

I've not tried the container technique you used.

What I used should produce results identical to the methods you were trying to use. They all tell FileMaker to open the file using the OS system's "default application" specified for that file extension.