Summary

Unable to make Find/Replace in FileMaker Pro Advanced 13

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX10.9.1 Mavericks

Description of the issue

Unable to make a find and replace request on a simple text field.   This is in a database which was previously working fine in FileMaker Pro Advanced V12.0 and now running on V13.0

For example.  In a database with a newly created simple text Text which by default is empty, if I select the newly created field, then select Find/Replace and enter '=' in the Find box (to find an empty field), and then put a character 'X' in the Replace box, select "All Records" and "Current Field" and then hit "Replace All", it goes through entire database and comes back to state no records found, no records replaced.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I created a new test database with a single text field.  Created 10 blank records.  Went to first record in database.  Ran same Find/Replace request and tried every single combination of requests and in every direction (forward/back/all).  Still does not work.

Expected result

Replace blank field with 'X'

Actual result

Did not find any blank fields and did not replace with character 'X'.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Finished Searching
      Number of occurrences found: 0
      Number of occurrences replaced: 0
      Number of records searched: 10
      Number of fields searched: 1

Configuration information

This is a newly installed FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0 installed (no update). 
      It is on a standalone MacBook Pro
      The databases are on the same machine

Workaround

None.  I am 10+ year expert in FileMaker.  This is first time I have seen this issue.

• 1. Re: Unable to make Find/Replace in FileMaker Pro Advanced 13
          RickWhitelaw

I don't believe this is the purpose of Find/Replace. The step, I believe,  is to find a text string and replace it with another. I.e. find apple and replace with pear. To accomplish what you want I would do a find for = as you did, then use SetField to enter x into the fields in the found set. In other words the Find/Replace step will not let you replace nothing with something.

• 2. Re: Unable to make Find/Replace in FileMaker Pro Advanced 13
            StephenAllen

Thanks for the response.  However this makes the ease of populating a database for the first time very cumbersome.  In previous versions of FM Pro (e.g. 12) I certainly could find a blank ("") in a given field and replace it with something.  I have been using this function to quickly populate a new database with data for years and across multiple versions of FM.  

In FM13 the find and replace function still recognizes blanks because in the dialog box that comes up before committing to the find/replace it will substitute an empty 'find' box with "" knowing that you want to find blanks and replace them with something....

In short, I think something has changed here from version 12 to 13 that needs to be fixed.  After all, if i can use the find function to find empty cells, why on earth would I not be able to use find/replace to do same?  

• 3. Re: Unable to make Find/Replace in FileMaker Pro Advanced 13

Stephen Allen:

Thank you for the post.

I am unable to reproduce any difference in the functionality of Find/Replace after testing FileMaker Pro 11 (Advanced), FileMaker Pro 12 (Advanced), and FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced).

Find/Replace does not find blanks in any FileMaker Pro version. I tested FileMaker Pro 11, 12, and 13: 

1. Find for "" 

Result: None

2. Find for " " 

3. Find for ="" 

4. Find for =" "

To my knowledge operators have never worked in the Find/Replace dialog nor finding for blanks. 

Perhaps, I am missing a step to replicate?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Unable to make Find/Replace in FileMaker Pro Advanced 13
                philmodjunk

Stephen Allen,

Might you have used a Find, followed by Replace Field Contents to do this in the past?

• 5. Re: Unable to make Find/Replace in FileMaker Pro Advanced 13
                  StephenAllen

Firstly many thanks to all who responded.

Secondly, duh!  I get the 'dummy' prize for mixing up Find/Replace with making a 'Find' and then 'Replace Field' command.  

Obviously my grey cells are depleting at an exponentially faster rate as I am reaching my 'sunset' years !

Thanks for helping out.

Steve