Unable to scroll with mouse wheel in large portals

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v12.x

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

In a large portal, with quite a lot of conditionnal formating, it is now (since v12) impossible to use the mouse wheel to scroll through lines.
      This has nothing to do with scroll speed, as might have been reported in v12 with heavily formated portals. There's just nothing happening.

This happens even if one "forces the focus" on the portal, by clicking for instance on a line to select it, or on the scroll bar.

It works without problem in v11 (of course, on Micr. Windows you must get the focus on the portal, by clicking on it, which is not necessary anymore in v12)

(and if you still have a v9, just give it a try to see how fluid that was, but that's not the point here)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Best is to download example files (v11 & v12 included) :
      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11429829/TEST_PORTALS_V12.zip

login : admin
      pass : admin

Expected result

Portal scrolling when using mouse wheel.

Actual result

no scrolling with wheel, only with scroll bar.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error message

• 1. Re: Unable to scroll with mouse wheel in large portals

Laurent Spielmann:

Thank you for the post.

I downloaded the sample files provided, and did observe the behavior you mentioned; however, deleting and readding the portal on the layout fixes the scrolling issue. I was not able to replicate the behavior in a new database file.

Also, I ran a recovery on both the .fp7 file and the .fmp12 file and problems were detected on both. 

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".

2. Recover does not detect all problems

3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly

4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

If you are able to replicate this behavior outside of the current database file, using a new database file built in FileMaker Pro 12 or one of the starter solutions, please let me know.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Unable to scroll with mouse wheel in large portals
            LaurentSpielmann

Hi TSFalcon,

First, thanks for the time you spent on it.

Indeed, deleting and creating the portal again fixes it. Thanks for the workaround.

But concerning your recovery results, that's quite strange : I just ran a recovery on both files (from the zip file), and get a "no problems detected" result in both cases.

If you ever get a chance to send me the logs, I would be interested. Would that mean that recovery can have different results based on the computer ? OS ?

• 3. Re: Unable to scroll with mouse wheel in large portals

Laurent Spielmann:

Did you download the files from the link provided and then run recovery? I downloaded from the link again and recovery found problems when run from Mac OS X 10.7.5 or Windows 7. If the original files are good, but not the ones from the download link, then likely the damage was caused during the upload to drop box. 

I am attaching a screenshot below of the log showing the two fields which recovery changed.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Unable to scroll with mouse wheel in large portals
                LaurentSpielmann

Hi,

yes, I did download and open the file from my own link, just to make sure it hasn't been corrupted during the upload.

I just did it again, whith a new recorvery, and here's the screenshot of the log, focused on the same lines as yours.

This is very odd, and I must admit it doesn't really comfort me with the recovery process...

Any clue about this ?

• 5. Re: Unable to scroll with mouse wheel in large portals
                  LaurentSpielmann

Maybe I spotted this one.

The two incriminated fields have an auto-entry with a custom function that changes any period or coma input to the local system decimal separator.

(because on a french keyboard, the numpad decimal symbol puts in a period, where almost any kind of software expects a coma... And since a french version of FileMaker doesn't understand this period as a -french- decimal separator, one has to use such devices to set things right...)

This is the CF :

Let ( separator = Middle ( 3/2 ; 2 ; 1 ) ;
                       Substitute ( input ; ["." ; separator] ; ["," ; separator] )
                       )

So I guess your recovery, on an US-english localized system, changes the auto-entry values of these fields to match the new result of the "Middle ( 3/2 ; 2 ; 1 )" part of the above calculation.

Could that just be the reason ? There are other fields with the same auto-entry, but they're probably empty, so they won't show up in the log.