7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 10:33 AM by christinesephton_1

Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver

christinesephton_1

Summary

Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver

Description of the issue

Problem:  Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver Error:  Application crashes with the following error: Faulting application FileMaker Pro.exe, version 10.0.1.89, time stamp 0x49358341, faulting module pgoe1023.dll, version 5.30.0.74, time stamp 0x47602e1c, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0007bfa0, process id 0x2c94, application start time 0x01c9e27b0422fea5. Machine:  2008 Server, 2003 Server, XP, Vista, Windows 7 Workaround:  Filemaker 9 does not crash.

• 1. Re: Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver
          TSGal

christinesephton:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

What type of database (Oracle, MySQL, etc.) are you trying to connect to with FileMaker Pro 10?

In FileMaker Pro 10, there is a 4,096 character limit to the SQL string that can be sent.  In FileMaker Pro 9, there was no limit.  How long is the SQL statement being sent?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver
            christinesephton_1

TSGal,

I am attempting to access a Progress Database.

The character is only about 200, give or take a few.  I do not even get to the point to be able to run it.  When I select Import From ODBC and select the DSN that I used in 9.0 it immediately crashes the whole Filemaker Application, however it works like a champ in 9.0.

This only happened once I went to 9.0 and with Progress 10.1C drivers.

Christine

• 3. Re: Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver
              TSGal

christinesephton:

Thank you for the additional information.

Did you receive any new drivers for Progress during the time you upgraded to FileMaker Pro 10?  The information sent to the driver should be the same between FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10.

Do you have FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10 on the same machine?  It could be that the driver is already set up to interact with FileMaker Pro 9.  Try removing FileMaker 9 and reconfiguring the driver.

If you have access to another machine, install FileMaker Pro 10 and the Progress driver on the new machine. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver
                christinesephton_1

I have tried it on a new machine without ever installing FileMaker and it does the same thing.

Further I noticed one error in my post.  We actually have FileMaker 10 installed on the machine while using ODBC Driver 9.1D and it worked fine.  Once we had to update the ODBC Driver to 10.1C it stopped working.  When you attempt to do an ODBC import, and normally the ODBC Generator (Assistant) window opens in FileMaker, it crashes before it opens anything for selection. 

I then uninstall FileMaker 10 and installed 9 and it seems to work fine, without any problems.

To sum it up, 10.2A is now what I am using, recommended by Progress, however that did not help the issue.

FileMaker 9 works fine with it, and I do get the ODBC Selection Screen.

FileMaker 10 does not work, and I crash before the ODBC Selection Screen even opens.

I would love a solution soon, as I have been dealing with FileMaker with this for over a month and 1/2 and so far all my boss wants to do is get rid of FileMaker.

• 5. Re: Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver
                  TSNanner

Hello christinesephton,

I would like to be sure I understand the situation thus far:

FileMaker Pro 9 works with Progress ODBC driver 9.1D,  and Progress ODBC driver 10.1C, and Progress ODBC Driver 10.2A;

however FileMaker Pro 10 works with Progress ODBC driver 9.1D, and does not work with Progress ODBC driver 10.1C or 10.2A.

If FileMaker Pro 10 works properly with Progress ODBC driver 9.1D, it is likely something in their driver updates 10.1C and 10.2A that is causing FileMaker Pro to crash. Are you using FileMaker Pro on the same machine you have defined your Progress ODBC System Data Source on?

Are the operating systems you listed in your first post (Machine:  2008 Server, 2003 Server, XP, Vista, Windows 7) all the Operating Systems you tested using FileMaker Pro 10 with the problematic drivers (10.1C and 10.2A) on?

Was FileMaker Pro 10 installed on each of those Operating Systems, or is that a list of Operating Systems you had Progress installed on?

As a side note, FileMaker Pro 9 and 10 currently are not tested and certified
                  for use with Windows 7 as that is not a fully released Operating System as it is a beta. I would not recommend using our software on a beta Operating System in a production environment, as there could be unexpected or problematic results.

TSNanner

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver
                    christinesephton_1

You are correct with the fact FileMaker 9 can support all the Progress ODBC Drivers.

I am using the same machine I have definied my ODBC System Data Source on.

The operating systems listed are just all the systems we tried it on, to ensure it was not operating system specific.

At this time the drivers work in Access, Excel and other OBDC sources we need.  It also worked in FileMaker 9.  It appears to be a FileMaker 10 related issue, and not a driver issue, as suggested. (Otherwise it would not work with other applications)

Christine

• 7. Re: Unable to use Progress 10.1C ODBC Driver
                      christinesephton_1

I fixed the issue myself.  It appears that FileMaker 10 will no longer allow a blank password for ODBC.  When entering it, if you leave the password blank it just crashes.  I would recommend a warning or requirement of a password to continue.  It will help solve this issue in the future for other users.

Christine