Unexpected system beep

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

8.5v1

Operating system version

VISTA Business

Description of the issue

Following PC restore to original system state and after reinstalling all programs including Filemaker, whenever I access a file that is defined as Drop Down List and I choose one of the entries I have created, I now get a system beep.  There are no spelling errors.  What has changed to cause this unwanted phenomenon and how do I stop the system from beeping at me when I choose from a drop down list?

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None, just an audible system beep.  The program accepts the change I select and rewards me with an unwanted beep.

• 1. Re: Unexpected system beep
          TSGal

John Farrell:

Thank you for your post.

Add the same field to the layout, but leave the second instance of the field as an Edit box.  Are you able to enter information into the field?  If not, then are your access privileges set up properly that allows you to edit the field?

If you are able to enter information into the field, then change it to a drop-down list.  Does this work?  If not, then try a different value list.  Does this work?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful to narrow down the possible cause(s).

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Unexpected system beep
            JohnFarrell

If there is a more appropriate way for me to respond to "TSGal at Filemaker, please let me know.  My responses are in red.

Add the same field to the layout, but leave the second instance of the field as an Edit box. I did as you suggested and was able to enter information in the field and there was no system beep after pressing "Enter".  The moment I changed the field type (of this "new" feild to Drop-Down and selected from any of a number of lists I attached to this field, typing "Enter" was followed by a system beep. Are you able to enter information into the field?  Yes.  If not, then are your access privileges set up properly that allows you to edit the field?

If you are able to enter information into the field, then change it to a drop-down list.  Does this work?  If not, then try a different value list.  Does this work? See above.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful to narrow down the possible cause(s).  I wish I could do more than describe the issue.  I can tell you that I have uninstalled / reinstalled the original software (have there been any updates since the original disks?) with no luck.  By the way, in Layout mode, attempting entry on the screen results in the screen "blacking out".  Also, because a file called "server.pem" often becomes corrupt (less than 6kb), I have had to download a good copy from an educational site on the "net" (Filemaker informed me that all I need to do is buy their most recent version and pay them

• 3. Re: Unexpected system beep
              TSGal

John Farrell:

Thank you for the additional information.

First, update to FileMaker Pro 8.5v2.  You can do this through Knowledge Base Article #6862:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6862

If the problem still exists, try creating a new database file, one field, set it as a drop-down field with values "Yes" and "No", and try again.

The earliest version I have installed on a Vista machine is FileMaker Pro 9, and this does not occur.  Looking through reported issues for FileMaker Pro 8.5 and earlier, nothing was reported regarding a system beep in a field formatted as a drop-down list.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.