6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 3:50 AM by disabled_mrw-old-account-do-not-use

Unicode character 65279 added during "Insert from URL" from a local text file

jbante

Summary

Unicode character 65279 added during "Insert from URL" from a local text file

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v2

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.8

Description of the issue

I was using the "Insert from URL" script step to verify that the content of an exported text file matched the intended output. On visual inspection, the content of the target field of the "Insert from URL" script step exactly matched the expected value, but it did not match because there was an invisible character (65279) at the beginning of the field that text was inserted to. When I open the exported file in a plain text editor (TextWrangler), the character count matches the Length() of the original exported content, so the character must have been introduced during the "Insert from URL" step.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I exported the contents of a text field to a text file on the desktop. Then I used "Insert from URL" to insert the contents of the exported file to a second text field. The contents of the second text field match the first, except that the second field has single Unicode character 65279 concatenated to the beginning.

Expected result

Table::importedText = Table::exportedText

Actual result

Code ( Table::importedText ) = 65279

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Configuration information

The text file was exported to the desktop in my testing that discovered this issue.

Workaround

After inserting to the target field with "Insert from URL" I add this step to remove the offending character:
      Set Field [Table::field; Substitute ( Table::field ; Char ( 65279 ) ; "" )]