5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 6:51 AM by codecruncher

Unicode characters 55296-57348 mishandled by fields and Evaluate(Quote())

jbante

Summary

Unicode characters 55296-57348 mishandled by fields and Evaluate(Quote())

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.8.2

Description of the issue

For unicode characters Char ( 55296 ) through Char ( 57343 ), storing that character by itself in a text field changes the character to Char ( 53 ), according to comparing Code ( textField ) to the original Char ( $code ) calculation used to set the field.

For the same range of characters, Evaluate ( Quote ( Char ( $code ) ) ) converts characters 55296-57347 to Char ( 90 ), and character 57348 to Char ( 32 ).

Steps to reproduce the problem

I created a demo file to narrow-down the source of what was causing me trouble, and I can provide that file on request. (I wish I could include it in the issue report form, but I can't.)

For the first example, set a text field with the calculation "Char ( $code )" where the variable $code contains an integer between 55296 and 57343. After the field is set, compare Code ( textField ) to the original $code.

For the second example, try the calculation "Code ( Evaluate ( Quote ( Char ( $code ) ) ) ) = $code" for any value of the $code variable between 55296 and 57348.

Expected result

The final character should match the original character after going through either process.

Actual result

The final character is a different character than the original character. Large ranges of input characters often get mapped to the same output character.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Screen_Shot_2012-11-16_at_13.34.57.png