Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X

Description of the issue

When choosing unicode as the re-sorting option in a field based value list it will not work. It defaults to natural record order.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a table based value list with arbitrary field data that isn't in unicode sorted order when viewing the records in an unsorted state.

e.g.:

dog
      cow
      banana

Select unicode as the sorting option.

Expected result

Value list should re-sort by unicode, not reflecting the natural order.

banana
      cow
      dog

Actual result

Value list in the following order:

dog
      cow
      banana

Configuration information

This bug was introduced in FMP 12v3. The expected behavior works in FMP 12v2 and earlier.

• 1. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3

Peabody:

Thank you for the post.

I am unable to replicate this in a test file with the steps provided. Please review the screenshot below. Am I missing a step to replicate?

So far, the file meets the following conditions: 

1.           Field with value list based on field in same table.
          3.           Sorting option set to Unicode
          5.           Records are unsorted
          7.           Using FileMaker Pro 12v3

When I click the pop-up menu the items appear in the unicode sort order.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc

• 2. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3
            Peabody

TSFalcon,

Sorry for the "red herring". I was trying to boil the example down to something simple. The problematic behavior is when you start using low ASCII characters (invisibles) before any standard text.

Lucky for us Soliant Consulting has a demo file that exhibits broken behavior here: http://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/2012/09/extending-filemaker-pro’s-value-list-sort-capabilities-using-char-function

Let me know if you have any questions after reviewing the demo file in v2 vs. v3.

Thanks,

--Perren

• 3. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3

Peabody:

Thank you for prompt reply.

I downloaded Soliant Consulting's demo file and I observed a different behavior in FileMaker Pro 12v2 than FileMaker Pro 12v3. 

In FileMaker Pro 12v2 the values appear in the following order:

Negotiating price

Back ordered

Confirmed

Shipped

Delivered

Paid

Returned

Overdue

In FileMaker Pro 12v3 the values appear alphabetically in the following order:

Back ordered

Confirmed

Delivered

Negotiating price

Overdue

Paid

Returned

Shipped

If I understand your original post correctly, this seems to be displaying the way you expect in FileMaker Pro 12v3 but not in FileMaker Pro 12v2?

Is the goal for FileMaker Pro 12v3 to display the custom sort order and not alphabetically? 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3
                philmodjunk

TSFalcon, are there non visible characters in the beginning value field that are supposed to "force" a different sort order in the first instance but not the second?

• 5. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3

@PhilModJunk:

The first field in the example file is a primary key number field with an auto-entered serial number incrementing by 1. The screenshot below contains the example file's specific setup for the value list.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3
                    Peabody

TSFalcon,

The v2 ordering is correct. The use of invisibles is in the StatusCustomerSorted field. It bases it's "invisibles padding" based on the SortOrder numeric field. "Quote" should be the first selection in the value list.

V3 is what broke this behavior and where the value list will ignore the invisibles and fall back to an alpha/natural sorting.

Thanks,

--Perren

• 7. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3

@Peabody:

Thank you for the clarification. 

@PhilModJunk:

I need to correct my last post. There is a custom function named "_PrependWithByteOrderMarks" used to append Char(65279) to the beginning of the field. The number of spaces appended is used to specify the sort order. See the screenshot below. 

Regardless, I get different results in FileMaker Pro 12v2 and FileMaker Pro 12v3, so I submitted a report to Testing and Development for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3
                        nilsw

Hi,

i would like to know if there is any update on this issue. It was filed for v3 and is still not addressed in v5. The Byte Order Mark (BOM) works perfectly in normal Unicode sorting but breaks a sorted value list.

Nils

for further reading see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

• 9. Re: Unicode Value List Sorting broken in 12v3

filemakergarage:

Thank you for the reply.

KB 11577, Sorting behavior in FileMaker Pro when leading spaces are encountered in data / fields states:

"FileMaker Pro stores records in the order they were added to the file. Sorting rearranges records so you can view, update, or print them in different sequences. Sorting can also be applied to other features of FileMaker Pro including portals, sub-summaries, and value lists.

FileMaker, Inc. has identified an issue when sorting records based on data that contain leading spaces. Sorting in previous versions of FileMaker Pro could be affected when leading spaces or special characters (like Unicode character 65279 - also known as a "Zero Width No-Break Space) were encountered in data or fields. These types of characters should not affect the sorting results in FileMaker Pro.

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 12.0v3 so that these types of characters do not affect sort results."

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.