4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 6:40 AM by bpostow

Unwanted UTF encoding.

bpostow

Summary

Unwanted UTF encoding.

Description of the issue

Filemaker Pro 10.3MacOSX 10.6 We have a Filemaker program which sends email with an address based on a calculated field. The calculation is simply a concatenation of two text fields. However, the result is becomming UTF encoded. Which means that when it's used as an email address, the email fails. Also, the Macintosh email client won't even accept the command when we do a "Send Mail [via email client.....]" command.  The only work around I've found is typing in the email address manually, as an "Also send to" which has no computation.

• 1. Re: Unwanted UTF encoding.
          TSGal

bpostow:

Thank you for your post.

Send Mail via email client should send the information directly to the default email application (usually, Apple Mail).  Is anything appearing in the Sent folder?

Can you tell me any additional information about your email server?

There has been reports about some mail servers unable to receive names with the email address (Gmail immediately comes to mind).  What occurs when you omit the name and just send the email address?

Any additional information you can provide may help narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Unwanted UTF encoding.
            bpostow

Sorry, I should have mentioned tihs earlier,  mac Mail sends back an Error 3.

However, It's not really an issue of that, because when I send it via smtp , the name in the address is UTFed as well. 

If I just send the email address that part appears to work, but the subject line is also UTFed... 

The body comes across fine. 

• 3. Re: Unwanted UTF encoding.
              TSGal

bpostow:

I just sent a message via SMTP to you.  See if anything has UTF encoding.

I have asked our Technical Support Liaison to send you a test message via the company mail server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Unwanted UTF encoding.
                bpostow

Yes, the subject and from are UTF:

Received: (qmail 14372 invoked from network); 19 Oct 2009 22:24:43 -0000
                Received: from unknown (HELO p3pismtp01-007.prod.phx3.secureserver.net) ([10.6.12.7])
                          (envelope-sender <BentoSupport2@filemaker.com>)
                          by smtp29.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (qmail-1.03) with SMTP
                          for <brian.postow@acordex.com>; 19 Oct 2009 22:24:43 -0000
                Received: from ns3.filemaker.com ([192.35.50.18])
                  by p3pismtp01-007.prod.phx3.secureserver.net with ESMTP; 19 Oct 2009 15:24:42 -0700
                Received: from mail.filemaker.com (mail.filemaker.com [17.184.4.95])
                    by ns3.filemaker.com (8.12.1-20030922/8.12.1) with ESMTP id n9JMOgnb018140
                    for <brian.postow@acordex.com>; Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:24:42 -0700 (PDT)
                Received: from 244x102.filemaker.com ([17.184.102.244])
                          by mail.filemaker.com (Post.Office MTA v3.5.1 release 219
                          ID# 0-63480U1000L2S100V35) with SMTP id com
                          for <brian.postow@acordex.com>; Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:24:41 -0700
                Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:24:41 -0700
                Reply-To: bentosupport2@filemaker.com
                To: brian.postow@acordex.com
                Message-ID: <FileMaker.4adce729.1.5ca@>
                Subject: =?UTF-8?B?VGhpcyBpcyBhIFRlc3Q=?=
                MIME-Version: 1.0
                Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
                Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
                X-Nonspam: None

This is a Test