Summary

Updates on records not reflected for last 2 weeks

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows Xp

Description of the issue

We have FileMaker Pro 9. (10/29/2013 - 11/4/2013) All the updates to the records in this time frame are not showing up in the database. Everything is good before 10/29/2013 and everything is good after 11/4/2013.

Currently FileMaker works perfectly fine, I dont know why updates are not showing for that week.

Databse is hosted on a machine and 5 users access database remotely. (File -> Open Remote -> ...)

Please help!!!

Steps to reproduce the problem

Can not reproduce.

• 1. Re: Updates on records not reflected for last 2 weeks
          philmodjunk

What do you mean by "all updates"?

1.           Are there existing records that should have been edited in that time that do not show those changes?
          3.           Or are there records that should have been added during that time interval that can't be found?

The most obvious possible explanation is that the wrong copy of the file was opened during that time interval and thus the data changes were not part of the file now in use.

If the only missing updates are described by 2. above there are other possibilities:

a) The new records have since been deleted by a script or user action.

b) The records are still there, but your efforts to find them are failing. Not only can user error in searching for the records be a possibility, but corrupted field indexes can keep such records from being found or showing up in portals.

c) The file could be corrupted.

To test possibilities b) and c), recover a recent backup copy of the file and see what is reported by the recover process. Open the recovered copy even if no problems are found and fixed and see if the missing records can be found in the recovered copy of the file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Updates on records not reflected for last 2 weeks
            NiteshKankariya

Its the option 1. Updates to existing records doesnt show up.

only one file is there in the folder, so no choice of opening wrong file.

I have tried recovery option and open both the files original and recovered file, both doesnt have updated information.

What is cache flushing, when I see Edit -> preferences -> memory

It shows 7MB is used and capacity is 8MB.

Do I need to flush cache for individual user computer, or only on hosted machine will do.

• 3. Re: Updates on records not reflected for last 2 weeks
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, but data in a file cannot just "magically revert" to older versions of the data in the same record. Thus, it would appear that some other event has created at least the appearance of that result. Hope you keep back up copies of your file as that will be the only way I know that can be used to restore the data that is incorrect.

• 4. Re: Updates on records not reflected for last 2 weeks
                NiteshKankariya

Even I think so, but I dont know what happened, which resist it from updating records.

We have decided to make the missing updates again, as we check what we update is saved in database. It just we dont have updates for that last weeks.

Thanks PhilModJunk for your quick responses.