12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 7:28 AM by TSGal

upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason

seevogel

Summary

upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS X Mavericks and others

Description of the issue

I I try to upload a database from FileMaker Pro to FileMaker Server I got a connection error.
      so I am not able to upload any database.

3 days ago I deleted the MacBook Pro (running the FileMaker Server) completely.
      (deleting Macintosh HD)

I made a fresh installation of Mavericks and the FileMaker Server 13 (current version).

After the reinstallation I was able to upload databases from FMP to FMS again.

BUT:
      I enabled the OS X Firewall for a short time.

After that I never was able to upload any database.
      Even after disabling the firewall, upload was not possible.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make fresh install of Mavericks and FileMaker Server.
      activate the OS X FireWall.

(OS X asks if a service from the FMS should be allowed to open a specific port)
      You should answer "yes" but it has no effect because that FMS service is not an app! (so it seems)

Even after deactivating the FireWall the service/port is blocked.

Expected result

Upload should be possible with activated and with deactivated FireWall and should not be blocked forever.

Actual result

No upload of databases possible (neither from other computer, nor on local host)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"connection failed"

• 1. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
          TSGal

seevogel:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. In FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 under Mac OS X 10.9.5, I opened a local file (File.fmp12), and successfully uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 13.0v4 running Mac OS X 10.9.5.

2. On the FileMaker Server machine, I turned on the Firewall.

3. Back on the FileMaker Pro machine, I opened another local file (Test.fmp12), and attempted to upload the file to FileMaker Server.  It would not allow me to connect to the server.

4. On the FileMaker Server machine, I turned off the Firewall.

5. Back on the FileMaker Pro machine, I was then able to upload the file to FileMaker Server.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

Since you are not able to connect to the server, check to make sure something else on the server isn't blocking or using the same ports used by FileMaker Server.

In addition, try rebooting the server.  Does this work?

From Terminal, run netstat to get information about the system and open ports.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
            seevogel

hi,

a: I had deleted the Macintosh HD of the server computer (Mac Book Pro 2008) completely.

than I installed Mavericks 10.9.5 from the very beginning (fresh download/installation from Apple Server).

After installing Mavericks I made a fresh installation of fms_13.0.3.300 than updating to 13.0.4.400.

-> 2. while turning on the FireWall a System dialog appeared if I want to allow data transmission for a FMS-Service (I forgot the name of that service). I want to run the FileMaker Server with active Firewall because I have no FireWall in my DSL Router.

-> 3. … but upload to FMS was not possible

-> 4. Turning off FireWall

-> 5. No upload possible.

I made the whole fresh installation process because I had the same problem before the fresh installation: upload not possible.

I checked the network and also tried "localhost".

After hours of testing I choosed trying to reinstall the whole server computer and that helped (until the moment where I activated the firewall)

unfortunately I do not know how to enable the upload again…

• 3. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
              TSGal

seevogel:

Thank you for the additional information.

From the machine running FileMaker Pro, launch a browser and issue the command:

https://<IP Address>

This should bring up a page showing "FileMaker Database Server Website".  If not, then either FileMaker Server is not running or ports 443 and 80 are blocked.  Once you get this page, then try logging into the Admin Console:

https://<IP Address>:16000/admin-console

If this is not working, make sure port 16000 is open.  If this is working, launch FileMaker Pro, open a local file, set the database file for Network Sharing, and then upload to the server (port 443 required to be open).  If this still fails, make sure all other necessary ports are open:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12120

Continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                seevogel

Hi,

after an issue with a hosted database I had to remove it from the server.

Removing the database was not possible (via admin console) so I deinstalled the server and installed it again and did the update for yosemite.

Problem:

Again I am not able to upload a file via FMPA.

I made a portscan on both computers (the one with FMPA and the one with FMS).

On both computers neither port 16000 nor 16001 were not open.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12120 does not help because

unfortunately I do not know how to open these or any other ports.

so I am not able to use the server anyway.

the server system was re installed completely a few months ago and I only use it to run the server.

(btw: using RETURN in this posting window really sucks for a long time now)

• 5. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                  ceath

TSGal --

Thanks for the idea of the simple test of https://<IP Address>.  I'm having trouble getting WebDirect to start on a new FileMaker Server 13 deployment.  (See my post here.)  When testing the ability of a web page to reach the IP address of the server, I find I'm blocked.

You're a sharp person -- how does one go about getting ports 80, 443, etc. unblocked so that WebDirect can start working?

• 6. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                    TSGal

seevogel and Martin Ramsay:

Thank you for your posts.

Knowledge Base Article #12120 (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12120) shows what ports need to be open in order for FileMaker Server to run properly.  Instead, see Knowledge Base Article #9790 for Port Forwarding:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9770

Due to the large number of available routers, the article doesn't tell you how to open the ports for your router, but the article does direct you to http://portforward.com, and this should help direct you to your router.

If you are not the administrator, talk to your IT department about getting the necessary ports open for that server.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                      ceath

Thanks, TSGal.  The articles you refer to are good, solid summaries of IP addressing schemes and port forwarding approaches.  I'm saving those references as I think they'll be good to pass on to others who are struggling with fundamental issues.

Unfortunately, those articles don't help resolve my issue.  To reiterate:

1.  I'm installing FileMaker Server 13 on a brand new Mac Mini running Yosemite.  Nothing else is running on the computer.

2.  I think I can safely claim to know how to install FileMaker Server 13 successfully as I have FMS 13.0v3 running on an older Mac Mini running Mavericks.  The port forwarding I have in place for that server (which is our current live server) works properly.  WebDirect serves up pages that can be accessed from any browser on the Internet.

3.  My problem is that the new installation gets stuck on step 5 (see the screen shot) where it identifies port 80 as not being available.  I've tried several approaches:

• A straight FileMaker installation using the installation scripts and selecting to install WebDirect
                      •      
                      • A straight FileMaker installation using the installation scripts without electing to install WebDirect (that part works) and then going back and attempting to install WebDirect later.
                      •      
                      • Installing FileMaker with no connections to the LAN or Internet (and with no DHCP assigned IP address) as a completely independent and standalone computer.

All three approaches give the same result -- a conflict on port 80.  So I'm thinking the problem is with this new Mac Mini.  

A couple of notes:

• The old Mac Mini is running Mavericks 10.9.5 with FileMaker Server 13.0v3
                      •      
                      • The plan is that the new Mac Mini will run Yosemite 10.10.1 with FileMaker Server 13.0v5 (I first have to install v3, then upgrade to v5 since there is no direct v5 installer)
                      •      
                      • I had been changing the port forwarding in my NAT table (which is housed in the Time Machine I use as a router) when working on the new server so that the appropriate ports needed for FileMaker (as noted in Knowledge Base Article #12120) would be open for the new server.  Then, when I hit a roadblock, I would change the NAT table back so that the live (old) server could continue working.  
                      •      
                      • I've given up on that approach for now and have taken the new server completely off line to do the installation so as to eliminate port forwarding and IP address conflicts as a possible source of problems.  (This was suggested by Tsongming here.)  But that hasn't helped, either.

I'm currently re-installing Yosemite on the new computer in case something has become compromised in the OS that is causing the problem.  I also just saw a post by Ulrich Vielhauer here that suggests I needed to throw away the «/Library/FileMaker Server» folder, even after doing a FileMaker install.  Since I'm ready re-installing Yosemite, that is a moot point now.  But good to know for future reference.

Thanks for your on-going support and suggestions.

• 8. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                        TSGal

Martin Ramsay:

Thank you for the additional information.

At this point, it would probably be best if you speak directly to our Technical Support department at toll-free 800-325-2747.  Since this is an installation issue, you will not be charged for the call.  Our Technical Support department can go through the installation with you, and depending on your answers, know what steps to take next.  It will save us both time (and frustration).  Technical Support should also make a full FileMaker Server 13.0v5 available for you.

If you are located outside of North America, then contact the FileMaker office nearest you.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                          ceath

Thanks, TSGal!

I called as you suggested, talked to a nice fellow named Jake, and he suggested that I really should be installing FMS 13.0v5 as a full install, not the 13.0v3 with an upgrade to v5.  I had not found anywhere to get the full v5 install, but Jake showed me where it was in the Knowledgeable (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13886/ -- scroll to the very, very bottom of the page).  This is a trial version, which had caused me to avoid it in the past since mine is a paid version, but Jake also told me how to upgrade the trial version to a fully licensed version.  I've now gotten past the place that had me stumped for over a month, thanks to you and Jake.

Everything is up and running, but I have new hope for the first time in a long time.  Thank you, thank you!

• 10. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                            seevogel

Hi, 

I tried the full installer (v5 trial) and almost everything is working like a charm now (hope it never changing back).

- upload Database from FMPA client working

- Webserver also working

- Admin Console does not work from client

Installing 13.0v3 with an upgrade to v5 never worked (no upload, no webserver, no remote admin console).

It never had to do with open ports on the Router or the client computer, nor active or inactive firewalls.

I recently had Little Snitch installed to see what's going on.

During the installation with the v5 Trial full installer I had Little Snitch active so I had to confirm for every port and every service FMS wanted to use. Everything seems fine now.

• 11. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                              ceath

Hi Seevogel,

Your experience was exactly the same as mine.  While all the error messages were pointing to port 80 conflicts, and I was thinking about doing some tests with Little Snitch, the real problem is the FileMaker Server upgrade path.

For the record—and for anyone else who is attempting to move from FileMaker Server 13.0v3 and Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) to FMS 13.0v5 and Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite)—I've tried documenting the process that works below.

Note that the simple upgrade path, upgrading the OS from 10.9 to 10.10 and FileMaker Server from 13.0v3 to 13.0v5 WILL NOT WORK using the FileMaker supplied upgrader.  Instead, one must install a new version of FileMaker 13.0v5 using the trial version installer.  The steps are:

1. Stop the databases you are currently hosting on FileMaker Server 13.0v3 and back them up.  Make sure the backups are good before you move on using FileMaker or FileMaker Pro (not Server).  Stop the FileMaker Admin console and the server.
                              3. Uninstall FileMaker Server using the FileMaker Server install .dmg.  And, because the uninstall process does not clean everything out, also drag the Library/FileMaker Server/ into the trash.
                              5. Now upgrade Mavericks (OS X 10.9) to Yosemite (OX X 10.10) using Apple's process for upgrading the operating system.
                              7. Download a trial version of FileMaker Server 13.0v5 (NOT the upgrade tool, but the full version).  Install that.  You can then add your purchased license (that you were using in FileMaker Server 13.0v3) to the newly installed trial version so that you have a legitimate, paid-for version of FileMaker Server.
                              9. Open your backup files that you made in step 1 using FileMaker or FileMaker Pro.
                              11. Now upload those backup files to the new version of FileMaker Server that you've now installed.

Note that this process seems the long way 'round, but it is necessary because you must install a new version of FileMaker Server 13.0v5 from scratch.  The upgrade path just doesn't work.  It took me weeks of beating myself up before I figured it out (with the help of the fine folks at FileMaker support).  Hopefully this little note will save someone else a bunch of time.

• 12. Re: upload to FileMaker Server 13 not possible. (connection error) - possible reason
                                TSGal

Martin Ramsay:

Thank you for your post and diagram.

I have sent this entire thread to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.