Summary

Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.9

Description of the issue

Upload to FileMaker Server no longer works - it fails to connect. This did work when I first installed Server.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Launch FM 13.
      Select Upload to FM Server
      Input server address and server admin credentials
      Select Next

Expected result

Should see a browser window to locate the file to upload.

Actual result

Fails to connect

Configuration information

FM Server is running on a Mac mini running OS X Server 10.9

Workaround

Once the database is on the server I can connect to it via the connect to remote command.

Screen_Shot_2013-12-16_at_9.58.30_AM.png

• 1. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect

Dave Hale:

Thank you for the post.

Using FileMaker Pro 13, I am unable to reproduce on a Mac OS X 10.9 iMac. 

I am able to upload a new file to FileMaker Server 13, as both a Local Host and as a Favorite Host. 

Using the same copy of FileMaker Pro 13, are you able to connect to the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 or any other database files on the server?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect
            DaveHale

Yes, I can connect to all of the databases on the server from a remote Mac. Are you testing on a 10.9 Mac running OS X Server? This did work on my server initially but for some reason has stopped working. 

• 3. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect

Dave Hale:

Thank you for the reply.

Are you asking if my FileMaker Server 13 or my FileMaker Pro 13 is installed to Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server?

The answer is neither, as FileMaker did not test either configuration. 

The system requirements officially tested to work follow:

FileMaker Server 13 System Requirements

FileMaker Pro 13 System Requirements

Besides the use of an untested configuration, does a Port Scan from Network Utility indicate port 443 is open from the remote Mac client to the Server host? (See screenshot below)

Ports used by FileMaker Server 13

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect
                DaveHale

Yes, 443 is open. 

Port Scanning host: 10.0.1.197

Open TCP Port: 443    https

Port Scan has completed…

• 5. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect

Dave Hale:

Thank you for the reply.

Is 10.0.1.197 the internal I.P. address of the FileMaker Server? 

From your screenshot, the process was failing when trying to upload to "sharpthistle.net" (via Favorite Hosts). If you attempt to upload via the I.P. address instead, then does the upload still fail? 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect
                    DaveHale

Yes, it still fails with the IP. 

• 7. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect

Dave Hale:

Thank you for the reply.

You responded to a related thread here: 

FM 13 Server Web Publishing Disabled Cannot Upload Database

"FM Server is running on 10.9 with OS X Server running Profile Manager and some other services. I don't have the FM Web services enabled."

This new piece of information leads me to another question: 

If the server.app services are disabled, then can the FileMaker Pro 13 client upload to the server? 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect
                        DaveHale

No, I turned off all services. No change. I get the same connection failure. 

• 9. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect

Dave Hale:

Thank you for the reply.

Did you redeploy the FileMaker Server and restart the computer after disabling the services? 

Were the server.app services disabled over the weekend because my Network Utility indicates the exact same ports are in use for "sharpthistle.net" for at least the last hour. (See screenshot below)

The following ports are not FileMaker Server ports:

Port 311           asip-webadmin

Port 625           dec_dlm

Port 1640         vert-responder 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect
                            DaveHale

I just deleted and attempted to re-install 13 and saw the notice about disabling the sites running on 80 and 443. I must have said yes to that during the install, uploaded the databases and then the Mac eventually rebooted and the existing web services turned back on and thus some of the FM services stopped working. I'm rolling back to 12 since I only have one Mac mini to run on for demo purposes at the moment. 

• 11. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect
                              AustexDBGuy

I am experiencing this same issue and would appreciate some hints or assistance as my Server Side management skills are intermediate at best.  I also am running a Mac Mini set up remotely and am running OS X 10.9.1, Server software version 3.0.1, Safari 7.0.1, and FM Server 13.0.1 and FMPA 13.0v1 on it.

Running the Server 3.0.1 software on the Mac Mini, I have tried turning the "Websites" service both on and off and rebooting but I still get the "Failure to Connect" message from within FMPA in either case when trying to connect and upload a file.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

• 12. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect

AustexDBGuy:

Thank you for your reply.

At this time, FileMaker Server 13 is not tested on Mac OS X 10.9.1 Server. The server.app is not required for a successful installation, launch, or deployment of FileMaker Server 13 nor to upload to FileMaker Server 13.

To upload from FileMaker Pro 13 to FileMaker Server 13, port 443 and 5003 must be open from the client computer to the host computer. 

If the client computer is a Mac, then what is the result of a port scan from the client I.P. to the host I.P.?

1. Open Network Utility.app on the client Mac

2. Click "Port Scan" pane in the top right of the window.

3. Enter the I.P. address of the FileMaker Server 13 host.

4. Click Scan

Does the scan return both TCP Port 5003 and and TCP Port 443 as open?

If the ports are not open, the most likely cause is a firewall or other third party security software.

From page 10 of the FileMaker Server 13 Getting Started Guide:

"Also keep in mind the following:

• If the machine has anti-virus software installed, you may need to disable or uninstall it before running the FileMaker Server installer. Don’t enable anti-virus software again until after the Deployment assistant has finished.

• You cannot run two different versions of FileMaker Server on the same machine at the same time. 1 Because some DHCP servers cycle IP addresses, FileMaker recommends using a static IP

address.

• OS X: Avoid using the OS X Server application to enable any HTTP services while running FileMaker Server. HTTP services provided by OS X Server can interfere with FileMaker Server. See “Using the Apache web server in OS X” on page 72."

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect
                                  GoncaloSilva

Hi,

Had the same problem on a couple of Mac mini running OS X 10.9 (NOT SERVER) headless. Port 443 was closed after reboot and the filemaker web server refused to launch (greyed out on the web management panel). 

Went to System Preferences / Sharing and switched off (deselected) Remote Apple Events  and then rebooted the machines. 

All is now working as should be. I can upload databases via sharing and the filemaker web server is now a nice shade of green :)

Hope this helps someone.

Best Regards,

GS

• 14. Re: Upload to FileMaker Server fails to connect
                                    JonJ

I have the same problem here on Win2012. The port is definitely open:

"Host is up (0.0024s latency). 
                                    PORT STATE SERVICE 
                                    443/tcp open https "

And I get the same if I turn my firewall off completely.

1 2 Previous Next