6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 5:21 PM by jaynelson2112

User Dictionary Lost on Application Close

psuchad

Summary

User Dictionary Lost on Application Close

Description of the issue

Filemaker 10 is not saving the user dictionary settings after the application is closed.  This appears to be a problem with only non-administrator accounts

• 1. Re: User Dictionary Lost on Application Close
          drdocb

I have been having the same issue - I have to select the user disctionary I want every time I log into the app - quite a pain. Wondering if anyone has found a fix for this?

Larry

• 2. Re: User Dictionary Lost on Application Close
            jaynelson2112

I have been having the same issue with Filemaker 11, running Windows 7.  But I don't have the problem when running Windows XP.  It appears to have something to do with the operating system.  Anyone found a fix for this?

• 3. Re: User Dictionary Lost on Application Close
              TSGal

jaynelson2112:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Do you get an error message, or does it just not save?

Do you have full read/write access to Program Files > FileMaker > FileMaker Pro 11 > Extensions > Dictionaries folder?

A user reported a similar problem if they were running the Admin Console for FileMaker Server on the same machine.  In that case, the user received an error message when trying to set find the User Dictionary as "The file path specified is not a valid file path."

In some instances, users are moving the User dictionary from the default location, and Windows is not updating the registry.  In these cases, you will have to manually change the registry to get FileMaker Pro to recognize the new location.

Any other information you can tell me about your system may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: User Dictionary Lost on Application Close
                jaynelson2112

TSGal,

I am running Filemaker Pro 11 on Windows 7 Professional.  After logging into our Filemaker database and successfully selecting a user dictionary, I am able to add items to the dictionary, etc.  All works fine.  But after closing the Filemaker Pro Client and then restarting it, the Select Dictionaries dialog window switches back to the option of "Use Main Spelling Dictionary only" and then I have to change the option and reselect the location of the User Dictionary.  I tried creating a User dictionary in the Dictionary folder but this doesn't seem to help.  I'm assuming the default location is: Program Files > FileMaker > FileMaker Pro 11 > Extensions > Dictionaries folder.

I receive no error messages and I have the default read/write access priviledges created during installation.

• 5. Re: User Dictionary Lost on Application Close
                  TSGal

jaynelson2112:

I've tried placing the User.upr file in several directories, and after selecting the User Dictionary, I can quit and relaunch and the option stays with "Use Main Dictionary and User Spelling Dictionary" with the full path displayed below it.  I know that doesn't help you, but I thought it was important to let you know what I tried.

Assuming something is wrong with the FileMaker Pro application, I would move the User.upr file to the Desktop, and then uninstall FileMaker Pro and remove the FileMaker Pro 11 folder (assuming you don't keep any database files in that folder or subfolders).  Reinstall FileMaker Pro 11 so all new files can be written to your computer.  Launch FileMaker Pro, try turning on the user dictionary, and see if a new one is created.  If not, then move the User.upr file into a safe place (possibly in your user account folder under Documents and Settings) where you have full read and write privileges, and then point to it.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: User Dictionary Lost on Application Close
                    jaynelson2112

TSGal,

As a side note, this problem occurs on both Filemaker Pro 11 and Filemaker Pro Advanced 11.  Anyway, I installed Filemaker Pro Advanced 11 on my home PC which is running Windows 7 Home Premium and I don't have this problem!  It seems to be a problem only with Windows 7 Professional and maybe has something to do with our network configuration.  At work we are running Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 and we have to log in to the server before reaching the desktop.

At home the default location of the User.upr file is:

C:\Users\Jay\AppData\Roaming\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro Advanced\11.0

I not sure where it is on the networked PC at work which is running Windows 7 Professional as it appears that the default User file was never created during installation.

Maybe the registry setting will give us a clue into what is happenning here.  Can you tell me where in the registry is the default location for the user dictionary file stored?