User is able to click popover buttons under a container field

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v5

Operating system version

OS X

Description of the issue

Inside a portal, when a popover button is layered under a container field so that is it not visible on the layout, a user is still able to access the popover button by clicking in the container field area where the popover button resides beneath.

If the user clicks in that vicinity, a popover will appear as if the user clicked the popover button directly.

Steps to reproduce the problem

On a layout create a portal > Create a popover button.  > Then create a container field that is larger than the popover button. > Place the container field over the popover button and use the inspector tool if necessary so that the container field is above the popover button and completely covers it so that in Browse mode, a user cannot see the popover button. > Now go into Browse mode and hover over the container field area where the popover button resides beneath. > Click in that area and notice that a popover button will open.

Expected result

Since the container field is above the popover button, the user should not be able to open a popover window when they click on the container field.

Actual result

The user is able to open a popover window when they click on the container field.  Notice that the container field is not even grouped with the popover button.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

n/a

Workaround

In order for me to avoid this, I have to hide the popover button under the container field under certain conditions if I don't want the user to be able to open a popover window.

popover_button_issue.png

• 1. Re: User is able to click popover buttons under a container field
          stefan_s

Hi, if you need to hide the popover under certain conditions, why not use the ”Hide object when” feature?

You’ll find it in the Inspector, Data tab.

HTH

• 2. Re: User is able to click popover buttons under a container field
            TSGal

Answer Feedback:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created two tables that are related by an ID Number field.

2. In the main table Layout, I created a portal into the related table.

3. I made the portal display one row, and then sized the portal to be approximately 10 inches wide by 5 inches tall.

4. I added a few related fields to the portal and went to Browse to ensure the portal was working correctly.

5. Back in Layout Mode, I created a popover button in the portal, and moved one of the fields from the portal into the Popover (Date).

6. I added a Container field to the portal that used most of the are of the portal (9 inches wide by 4.5 inches tall).

7. I clicked on the popover button, pulled down the Arrange menu and selected "Send to Back".

8. Returning to Browse Mode, I click everywhere in the Container field, and the Popover button is inaccessible.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: User is able to click popover buttons under a container field
              wguan

Okay, I revisited this and it looks like if that container is disabled for field entry in Browse Mode (Go to Inspector Tool > Data tab > Under Field entry, uncheck Browse Mode), a user can click on the popover button under where the container is, as if the container was not there.  This also appears to occur outside of a portal as well.  Is this by design?  Thanks.

• 4. Re: User is able to click popover buttons under a container field
                TSGal

Answer Feedback:

Using my current layout, I disabled field entry in Browse Mode for the Container field.  I am still unable to click the popover button.

Do you have a sample file you can send in?  If so, check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: User is able to click popover buttons under a container field
                  philmodjunk

Hmm, haven't tried this with a container field, but being able to click objects hidden behind a field for which browse mode entry is not permitted is expected behavior. To cite one example where we exploit this is that it's one way to hide an ID field formatted as a drop down list behind an associated name field.

So I ran my own test. If I put a popover button behind a transparent container field with browse mode access not allowed in the Inspector's behavior settings, I can click the popover button and it opens the popover--and this is what I would expect to happen. Some of my layout designs depend on this behavior.

I used a container optimized for images. I would not be surprised to discover that one optimized for interactive content to produce different results.