Using audio functionality in FileMaker Pro 12 changes date

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker 12

Operating system version

OS 10.6.8

Description of the issue

When choosing the 'Insert menu > Sound' command my computer's internal clock is set back to 2002 and FileMaker shows the Sound Record dialog of FileMaker 6 that limits sound recordings to 1 minute or less.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Choose the 'Insert menu > Sound' command.

Expected result

FileMaker's new file format makes it easy to record audio of any length via a simple 'record audio' script step.

Actual result

The classic Mac OS 9 Sound Record dialog appears.

Workaround

Create a humorous bug report and hope someone will make me look like a complete fool by showing how easy it is to record audio files of any length with FileMaker 12.

• 1. Re: Using audio functionality in FileMaker Pro 12 changes date
          TSGal

CodeCruncher:

Thank you for your post.

I cannot replicate the problem.  This is what I did:

1. I opened System Preferences and selected "Date & Time", so I could view the date and time.

2. I launched FileMaker Pro 12 and created a Container field and a Date field with option to enter Modification Date.

3. In Browse mode, I entered a new record, clicked on the Container field, selected Insert -> Sound, and the Sound dialog box appears (limiting recording to 58 seconds).

4. I record a sound, commit the record, and the Modification Date updates to today's date, and the System Preferences Date & Time also remain at today's date.

This was performed on both Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Mac OS X 10.7.3.

As far as the Sound Record dialog, FileMaker Pro 12 is currently limited to 58 seconds.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Using audio functionality in FileMaker Pro 12 changes date
            codecruncher

Thanks, TSGal. Your statement that FM pro 12 is 'currently' limited to 58 seconds gives me hope. I trusts that you know my 'bug' report was all in good fun. Since the FileMaker Go app for the iPhone can already record audio files of any length the 58 second limit of FileMaker Pro Advanced that has been in place since 2002 came as a surprise. 

Even if we have to keep the limit to 58 seconds or less I would greatly appreciate a 'record audio' and 'playback audio' script step in FileMaker. This would allow me to use a FileMaker plug-in on the desktop computer and use the native audio recoding functionality on the iPhone / iPad. FileMaker Go's pop-up dialog that requires the user to choose which file format to insert into a container field doesn't allow me to build an intuitive interface that works consistent on all platforms.

• 3. Re: Using audio functionality in FileMaker Pro 12 changes date
              stog

I too would greatly appreciate a 'record audio' and 'playback audio' script step in FileMaker. 

is there any way to get a container to play a sound in Go, without having to further tap/complete a dialogue box; we are trying to migrate a solution for our disabled lad, that would issue responses on him tapping/touching or clicking specific images...

see Sound file won't run in FMP Go

• 4. Re: Using audio functionality in FileMaker Pro 12 changes date
                codecruncher

The easiest way for the FileMaker development team to implement a solution would be a 'record' and 'play' script specifically for the iPhone / iPad. The scripts could be selectable under a 'FileMaker GO' heading in the script editor. No further support for OS X and Windows is necessary. Power users can continue to use a plug-in to work with audio on their desktop computers.

• 5. Re: Using audio functionality in FileMaker Pro 12 changes date
                  TSGal

CodeCruncher and stog:

Thank you for your posts.

All suggestions (including a "record" and "play" script step) should be entered into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are automatically entered into a database file that is monitored and read by FileMaker Development and Product Management, where the suggestions are discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you individually can answer.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Using audio functionality in FileMaker Pro 12 changes date
                    codecruncher

Thanks, TSGal. I always admired you for being so patient when dealing with a lot of tough customers. I hope my humorous bug report didn't make anyone feel like a fool. It was the most creative way that I could think of to get attention.

I have a feeling that the feature request database is designed to filter out the most requested features. Working with audio files will very likely not be on top of the list. I always felt it was an important feature for my own selfish needs but since then have learned that it is also an important feature for users like stog with entirely different challenges.

I am certain that if the feature request is filed by you personally it will get the proper attention. It might not be possible to implement but at least we know that it has reached the right people. I know it's not the proper procedure but I would be grateful if you could forward the feature request for us.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• 7. Re: Using audio functionality in FileMaker Pro 12 changes date
                      stog

Thanks TSGal and CodeCruncher;

now that the upcoming IOS will allow us to define a 'clickable area' by application, our disabled child may be able to use the solution we have developed for him without errant clicking etc. The audio portion of the solution is though dependant on an implementation of the IOS script steps from within Filemaker ie  'record audio' and 'playback audio' to avoid double clicking and Dialogue boxes.

This is very important for our child as, for as well as being quadruplegic CP, he is registered blind, but can i think see certain shapes and colours close to him. we are trying to develop a simple useable switch system for him and we nearly have a useable solution using Filemaker and Go on an IPad..

with thx again