5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 2:11 AM by thomasgardner

Using the mouse to move a field in  layout mode creates a copy of the field, does not move it.

thomasgardner

Summary

Using the mouse to move a field in  layout mode creates a copy of the field, does not move it.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Description of the issue

When I move a field in  layout mode, it copies it. I cannot drag, resize or edit the fields using my mouse.
      It began a few months ago with Filemaker 8.5,(also, the databases all starting asking for a password that I had not set. partially resolved by looking at the online problems and seeing that a username of Admin and blank password works).

However the new inability to move or resize a field in Layout without copying it drove me nuts, and I bought Filemaker 11 in the hope that all would be sorted out. It has not solved the problem.

If I reboot the computer the problem seems to go away for a while, but then comes back.

There do not seem to be any filemaker pro11 preferences, so I cant trash them. (Are there any?)

System is : Powerbook pro,  Mac OS is 10.6.6 and Filemaker is 11.0v3 

Has anyone found an answer yet? A solution to this problem would be wonderful, as rebooting the computer for each change to a layout is no fun,

Steps to reproduce the problem

Go to layout mode, attempt to move a field using the normal mouse procedure (ie dragging it).

Expected result

The field would have been moved to the new position.

Actual result

The 'specify field' dialogue box pops up, with the field being moved highlighted as the current choice.

If the item being moved was just text (ie not a field) then a copy is made.

Workaround

Rebooting the computer solves the problem briefly, but it returns within hours.
      This is the only application with this problem.

• 1. Re: Using the mouse to move a field in  layout mode creates a copy of the field, does not move it.
          TSGal

thomas gardner:

Thank you for your post.

You should definitely be able to drag, resize and/or edit a field using a mouse.  Since this just started a "few months ago", assume the file is damaged.  Try running a Recover on the file (from the File menu).  FileMaker Pro will do its best to make sure the file is clean.  Open the Recovered file and see if the problem persists.

The FileMaker Preferences file exists in the following location under Mac OS X:

[User Account] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.client.pro.plist

Remove this file, and the next time FileMaker Pro launches, a new Preferences file will be created.

Since this problem appears to occur after some time, there may be a memory conflict.  What other applications do you have running along with FileMaker Pro?

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Using the mouse to move a field in  layout mode creates a copy of the field, does not move it.
            thomasgardner

Dear TSGal

I appreciate your message and the wish to help very much!! Unfortunately neither of these options seems to work. Trashing the preferences or running Recover - they both leave the problem unchanged. (PS All databases demand the admin password, even though I never set it or asked for password protected files)

Even if I quit all programs and relaunch Filemaker the problem remains. I use several programs a lot (word, MaxMSP, Ableton, Things) but there dont seem to be any others. 

The problem is also there when creating completely new databases. The only way of moving fields or changing their size is by typing in the position numbers in the inspector panel.

Yours, living in hope

Thomas

• 3. Re: Using the mouse to move a field in  layout mode creates a copy of the field, does not move it.
              TSGal

thomas gardner:

Let's first set your files so they don't prompt you for the password each time.  Open the first file, pull down the File menu and select "File Options...".  Click the "Open/Close" tab, and under the section "When opening this file", enter a check mark next to "Log in using:" and select the option "Account Name and Password".  For the Account, enter "Admin" (without quotes), and leave the Password empty.  Click OK.  Close the file and reopen it.  You will no longer be prompted for the account name and password.

Since the original problem (using the mouse to move fields) also occurs with new database files, let's assume FileMaker Pro has become damaged.  Therefore, uninstall and reinstall from the original CD, or if you purchased it electronically, download another copy of the application and reinstall.

Please continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Using the mouse to move a field in  layout mode creates a copy of the field, does not move it.
                philmodjunk

Since holding down the option key and dragging would reproduce this behavior, check your key board and any settings that might affect this. Don't know if this could be the case, but if the option key is stuck down or your keyboard is damaged so that you computer thinks the option key is down, you'd get this result.

Also check to see if you added any software about the same time. There was at least one report where this happened due to issues with another program that was producing this unintended effect.

• 5. Re: Using the mouse to move a field in  layout mode creates a copy of the field, does not move it.
                  thomasgardner

Dear Phill and TSGal

Thanks for your suggestions. 

TSGal - The File/File Options /openclose change to Admin  has worked, and I no longer need to type Admin to access the file. Great. Many thanks.

I will reinstall Filemaker and see if that makes a difference, it would be great if it did, but I have my doubts. the problem began while I was using Filemaker 8.5 and I upgraded to 11.0v3 but the problem remained. Also, the problem is temporarily removed when computer is rebooted. Nonetheless it would be great if it worked with a reinstall. Maybe resolving the issue with the Admin password will have helped, since that seemed to coincide with the main problem.

Phill - unfortunately its not a stuck key or keyboard issue. Initially I tried new keyboards and mice, (even though Filemaker was the only application with the problem) but to no avail.  Re - other programs having that effect - when I reboot the computer Filemaker is fine, so I will try to be ultra aware of what applications were launched at the point where the copy/drag problem reasserts itself.

Many thanks

thomas