Using the mouse wheel to navigate a portal on a PC

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0 v4

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

When a mouse wheel is used to scroll up and down a portal and then a record is selected which has a 'goto record' script attached, the system navigates to the first record in the module as opposed to the one selected in the portal.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Go to module
      Click on portal
      Use mouse wheel to scroll up and down the portal
      Select a record

Expected result

User should be taken to the record selected in the portal.

Actual result

User is taken to the first record in the module instead of the record selected in the portal

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message appears.

Configuration information

This has also been tested on a Mac using a mouse with a wheel and the navigational error can't be reproduced.

Workaround

Need to use the scroll bars on the side of the portal to navigate it - this is less convenient for the users.

Mouse_Wheel_Portal_Issue.jpg

• 1. Re: Using the mouse wheel to navigate a portal on a PC
          philmodjunk

I cannot reproduce this behavior.

On Windows 7, FileMaker 12.04, Duplicated the Bug Report layout from My Known Bugs List.
               I modified the portal for FMP Versions in two ways:

Reduced the number of rows (so that I could get more records than rows in the portal)
               Turned the drop down list formatted field into a button using the Go To Related Records button option specifying a layout based on FMP Versions and the Match Current Record Only options.

I performed a find for FMP 9 in this portal and flipped through the found set to find a report with more versions listed than can all show in the reduced size portal.

I then clicked in the portal to put the focus on one portal row without clicking any buttons and used the scroll wheel to scroll the portal.

I then clicked the "button" field of a different portal row.

The system changed layouts and made the clicked portal row record the current record as expected.

I repeated this several times and each time got the expected current record when I clicked the button.

Can you spot what I did differently?

Can you reproduce this behavior on a different, brand new test file?

Getting the first record is a common result if something causes the clicked portal row to "lose" the focus. (commit records is a frequent culprit.)

I seem to also recall an issue when the target table is more than one table occurrence "away" from the layout's table occurrence, but I can't find the report for that in my database.