Summary

V11.0.2 Bug??

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.4

Description of the issue

I am using Filemaker Pro Advanced V11. On Thursday I installed Filemaker's latest update to V11.0.2. Yesterday, after 2 days of work modifying and updating a database I quit Filemaker. Much to my great dismay, when I restarted Filemaker and opened my database, NONE of the changes I had made since installing the 11.0.2 update were in the database. When I checked all the Time Machine backups of this database, NONE of them contained any changes as well. In fact, they all showed that the database had last been modified prior to the time I updated Filemaker. Apparently, Filemaker 11.0.2 (at least the Pro Advanced version I am using) is NOT writing changes to disk. I have lost 2 days of work due to this bug, and have still not finished recreating my lost work. I have had this occur twice now, verifying that it is a 11.0.2 problem. I have switched back to 11.0.1, and this version behaves normally, saving any changes I make to the database disk file. I have not followed up further on this problem. I recommend, however, that before you quit FIlemaker 11.0.2, or before you close a database from within this version of Filemaker, that you save a copy of your database from within Filemaker. This MAY save any changes you have made, though I have not tested this workaround. If you are using 11.0.2, I also recommend that you that immediately see whether the problem I have encountered is also present in your configuration, so as to avoid possible loss of data in the future.

Update: I have since gone back and searched my other hard drives. I have found a database with the changes I made. It was, however, in a completely unexpected location, one I had not accessed in any prior version of Filemaker. How this file was opened instead of the one I was using in 11.0.1 is a puzzle to me. (I suspect there is some file system behavior, or something in the way Filemaker interacts with the file system that I am unaware of.)

Outcomes