1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 8:23 AM by BillGeraci

v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)

BillGeraci

Summary

v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13.0.1 (client v13.0v3)

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9.4

Description of the issue

I have a not very strenuously used FMServer which feeds 8 or 9 DB files to 5 users of which only 2 DBs are commonly used by two staff. When either of us log into these files (FMPro Server authentication only) we get dumped off ("disconnected") at some indeterminate time (this works out to perhaps 6-8 times in an 9 hr workday). The log says: "Client "[login user machine, IP address]" no long responding; connection closed. (51)" This is a pretty recent development; I don't recall any particular thing I changed when this started.... The server is a "Macmini5,1" dedicated to serving FM only. I searched the knowledge db and forum and found nothing similar to this.

Steps to reproduce the problem

correctly log into one of our files. Wait awhile (20 min to 2 hrs) and get dumped! (all these devices are within one subnet.)

Expected result

Being connected continually.

Actual result

Getting dumped!

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Partial list of date / time / notes on being dropped:

20140804, 09:20, Mon: Started list after 2 failures over days. Specific failures:

20140804, 09:20, Mon: Equip DB. Re-established without troubles.

by: 20140804, 12:04, Mon:

20140806, 09:23, Wed: I clicked on it, got wheel and then was dropped. Trying to re-establish took 25 seconds before password dialog box appeared. Then OK. 

20140806, 09:50, Wed: Just dumped me again. was in background.

20140806, 13:09, Wed: Just dumped me again. was in background.

20140806, 14:09, Wed: Just dumped me again. was in background.

20140807, 08:17, Thu: Discovered on return to office.

20140807, 15:43, Thu: I clicked in title bar to move after changing what monitors were connected and got disconnect error.

20140811, 10:32, Mon: I restarted the server and started running diagnostics. I had been logged in. It crashed me.

Configuration information

See above.

Workaround

None!

Screen_Shot_2014-08-11_at_1.47.02_PM.png

• 1. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
          TSGal

Bill Geraci:

Thank you for your post.

First, I would recommend updating to FileMaker Server 13.0v4.

Next, check to make sure the security privilege for the file has "Disconnect user from server when idle" checked.  If so, then check the setting FileMaker Server to see if the option "Set maximum idle time allowed for FileMaker clients (minutes)" is checked.  If so, what is the value?

How long have you had the Mac Mini?  We are currently investigating another possible issue with newer Mac Mini computers.  For instance, one customer was getting frequent disconnect errors on a new Mac Mini, but not on an iMac, MacBook Pro, or on an older Mac Mini.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
            BillGeraci

Thanks for the response. 

I will upgrade to v13.0.4. (I have the checkbox set for upgrades--it didn't nor did't give me any notice.....) 

Where is the Disconnect User from the server when idle? I didn't see it in Database Server > Security. 

I eventually found that if I went to Database Server > FileMaker Clients > Set max idle time was *unchecked*. I checked it and allowed the default of 720 min.

We've had this Mac Mini since Oct. of 2011. I gave it's *real* model info above. 

Let me know how I can help.... 

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

With Thanks, 

Bill Geraci
            • 3. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
              TSGal

Bill Geraci:

If you continue to be disconnected, I'd like to see your event log and system log files.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                TSGal

Bill Geraci:

I received your files.  Thank you.

I have sent the files to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

Please keep me updated if the issue continues under the FileMaker Server 13.0v4 update.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                  BillGeraci

It's still dumping me out of my shared db files; the update to 13.0.4 didn't solve whatever's wrong. :-(

• 6. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                    TSGal

Bill Geraci:

Send me the latest Server logs and system log for the time frame of the crash.

This may also be a network issue.  From Terminal, run the commands from both the server and client:  You only need to run this until the next time clients are disconnected.  Here are the commands:

sudo tcpdump -i en1 -P -s 128 -C 25 -W 10 -w tcpdump.pcapng "tcp port 5003"

The above command assumes that your network traffic is on the Ethernet 1 interface ("-i en1").  Depending on your machine, you may have to change this to en0 or en2 or...  Use the following command to see which interface has your IP address:

ifconfig -a

Other parameters used above:

-P (new format file, may work best with Wireshark UI tool)

-s 128 (only save up to 128 bytes of packet)

-C 25 (start a new file at 25MiB)

-W 10 (keep a ring of 10 files)

-w tcpdump.pcapng (write ring of files to tcpdump.pcapng0, tcpdump.pcapng1, ...)

"tcp port 5003" (capture only TCP packets to/from port 5003)

-----

Continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                      BillGeraci

Please do keep this current--this is still happening. A lot. I can't stay on for more than 20 or so minutes. 100% of the time. The update of the FMS software didn't help. Right now our dbs aren't used all that much but when people get back from vacation...we might have to axe this system.... 

• 8. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                        TSGal

Bill Geraci:

There are no network events before the crash.  However, the system log is filled with lines like:

Aug 11 10:45:49 divserve com.apple.launchd[1] (org.apache.httpd[866]): Exited with code: 1
                             Aug 11 10:45:49 divserve com.apple.launchd[1] (org.apache.httpd): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Do you know what is attempting to launch Apache https every 10 seconds?  Can you verify this is a dedicated server with nothing else running?

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                          BillGeraci

This particular Mac mini *was* running both Mac OS X Server *and also* FMS until I found out that this was a bad thing. So I bought another Mac mini and set up Mac OS X Server on it and then removed the Mac OS X Server from this one and got FMS running. I thought I had removed Mac Server but...it looks like I didn't get it / get it all. (Note: I *do* realize I'm an idiot in these matters. Just so you know.) 

So: First: Can you direct me to a list of things I should do in order to *fully* de-Mac Server this machine? If that isn't a reasonable option then do I need to wipe and reinstall all? 

Second: Thanks for catching this but...do you think that's what's causing the constant dropping of connection? 

Thanks. 

• 10. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                            TSGal

Bill Geraci:

I would first install Mac OS X 10.9 onto the Mac Mini.  This should overwrite everything on your Mac Mini.  Once finished, then install FileMaker Server.

The tcpdump showed no drops in connection.  However, let's first get the computer on a environment that is compatible with FileMaker Server before looking at dropped connections again.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                              BillGeraci
                                   I have rebuilt the server (re-initialized the drive, installed 10.9, done Mac Sys upgrades (I also installed MS Office 2011) and installed FMS 13.n and upgraded to 13.4) and it's still dumping connections to dbs after 10-50 or so minutes. 

Here's some logs from the past hour or so: 
                                   Export from FMS: 

Wed Aug 27 11:53:45 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "Ahuckabee (DIVADMIN03) [128.135.246.23]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

Wed Aug 27 11:53:42 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "admin (mb001e527ffca5) [128.135.246.194]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

Wed Aug 27 11:51:33 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "admin (mb001e527ffca5) [128.135.246.194]" authentication failed on database "BG-RecordingsTracker.fmp12" using "Admin [fmapp]".

Wed Aug 27 11:51:23 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "admin (mb001e527ffca5) [128.135.246.194]" authentication failed on database "BG-DivServer.fmp12" using "Admin [fmapp]".

Wed Aug 27 11:51:03 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "admin (mb001e527ffca5) [128.135.246.194]" authentication failed on database "BG-DivEquip.fmp12" using "Admin [fmapp]".

Wed Aug 27 11:38:32 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "Ahuckabee (DIVADMIN03) [128.135.246.23]" authentication failed on database "DivDOS05ff.fmp12" using "Ahuckabee [fmapp]".

Wed Aug 27 11:33:28 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "Ahuckabee (DIVADMIN03) [128.135.246.23]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

Wed Aug 27 11:33:09 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "papa (Seiobo) [128.135.71.53]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

Wed Aug 27 11:03:10 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "Ahuckabee (DIVADMIN03) [128.135.246.23]" authentication failed on database "DivDOS05ff.fmp12" using "Ahuckabee [fmapp]".

Wed Aug 27 10:33:31 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "admin (mb001e527ffca5) [128.135.246.194]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

Wed Aug 27 10:27:09 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Client "admin (mb001e527ffca5) [128.135.246.194]" authentication failed on database "BG-DivEquip.fmp12" using "Admin [fmapp]".

Wed Aug 27 10:26:49 CDT 2014

Server Events

Information

Administrator connected: "dbforever [127.0.0.1]" (admin console).

Wed Aug 27 10:26:41 CDT 2014

Server Events

Warning

Administrator authentication failed: "dbforever" (127.0.0.1).

Wed Aug 27 10:26:26 CDT 2014

Server Events

Information

Administrator connected: "fmsadmin [127.0.0.1]" (fmadminserver).

Wed Aug 27 10:15:15 CDT 2014

Server Events

Information

FileMaker Server processes started.

Copy and paste from system log:

Aug 27 10:25:54 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[344]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 10:25:54 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[288]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 10:25:56 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[65]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 10:25:57 divfms.uchicago.edu parentalcontrolsd[349]: StartObservingFSEvents [849:] -- *** StartObservingFSEvents started event stream
                                        Aug 27 10:26:04 divfms.uchicago.edu soagent[306]: Killing soagent.
                                        Aug 27 10:26:04 divfms.uchicago.edu com.apple.dock.extra[335]: SOHelperCenter main connection interrupted
                                        Aug 27 10:26:04 divfms.uchicago.edu NotificationCenter[300]: SOHelperCenter main connection interrupted
                                        Aug 27 10:26:04 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
                                        Aug 27 10:26:04 divfms.uchicago.edu com.apple.dock.extra[335]: SOHelperCenter main connection interrupted
                                        Aug 27 10:26:04 divfms.uchicago.edu imagent[315]: [Warning] Denying xpc connection, task does not have entitlement: com.apple.private.icfcallserver  (soagent:306)
                                        Aug 27 10:26:33 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
                                        Aug 27 10:26:33 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[288]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 10:27:03 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
                                        Aug 27 10:42:25 divfms.uchicago.edu WindowServer[85]: _CGXSetWindowBackgroundBlurRadius: Invalid window 0xffffffff
                                        Aug 27 10:42:26 divfms.uchicago.edu loginwindow[39]: find_shared_window: WID -1
                                        Aug 27 10:42:26 divfms.uchicago.edu loginwindow[39]: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid window 0xffffffff
                                        Aug 27 10:42:26 divfms.uchicago.edu loginwindow[39]: find_shared_window: WID -1
                                        Aug 27 10:42:26 divfms.uchicago.edu loginwindow[39]: CGSSetWindowTags: Invalid window 0xffffffff
                                        Aug 27 10:42:26 divfms.uchicago.edu WindowServer[85]: device_generate_desktop_screenshot: authw 0x7ff77bd22e60(2000), shield 0x7ff77bc424c0(2001)
                                        Aug 27 10:42:26 divfms.uchicago.edu WindowServer[85]: device_generate_lock_screen_screenshot: authw 0x7ff77bd22e60(2000), shield 0x7ff77bc424c0(2001)
                                        Aug 27 10:42:36 divfms.uchicago.edu loginwindow[39]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.
                                        Aug 27 10:49:56 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[65]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 10:49:56 divfms.uchicago.edu parentalcontrolsd[622]: StartObservingFSEvents [849:] -- *** StartObservingFSEvents started event stream
                                        Aug 27 11:36:54 divfms.uchicago.edu sandboxd[1138] ([113]): netbiosd(113) deny file-read-metadata /private/var/empty
                                        Aug 27 11:44:05 divfms.uchicago.edu WindowServer[85]: CGXDisplayDidWakeNotification [5387024541843]: posting kCGSDisplayDidWake
                                        Aug 27 11:44:05 divfms.uchicago.edu WindowServer[85]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Deferring.
                                        Aug 27 11:44:44 divfms.uchicago.edu loginwindow[39]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.
                                        Aug 27 11:55:14 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[282]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 11:55:18 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[288]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 11:55:56 --- last message repeated 2 times ---
                                        Aug 27 11:56:13 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[288]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 11:56:16 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[288]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 11:56:52 --- last message repeated 3 times ---
                                        Aug 27 11:57:26 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[288]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 11:57:40 divfms com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[228] (com.apple.systemprofiler[1394]): Spawned and waiting for the debugger to attach before continuing...
                                        Aug 27 11:57:42 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[288]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc
                                        Aug 27 11:57:47 divfms.uchicago.edu Console[1400]: setPresentationOptions called with NSApplicationPresentationFullScreen when there is no visible fullscreen window; this call will be ignored.
                                        Aug 27 11:57:48 divfms.uchicago.edu xpcd[288]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

Does any of that suggest anything to you? I am the admin client on ...194. I logged into 4 dbs and then within a few minutes it dumped me from all connections. 

Help! 
                              • 12. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                                TSGal

Bill Geraci:

The one item that did stand out in the server log is "DisplayDidWakeNotificaton", which usually gets tripped if you have a screen saver active.  This would definitely cause a connection issue with clients.

Return to the server machine, and make sure to disable any screen saver or sleep modes.

See if the issue persists.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                                  BillGeraci

Wow! And I like to think of my self as a computer guy...! I have now set screen save to Never and display sleep to Never (the computer was already set to Never sleep) and, for good measure I unchecked the Put hard disks to sleep when possible. Thinking about this this makes sense but I wouldn't expect this kind of thing to cause a problem. 

Do you have a "Read These tips before using a Mac as a server" somewhere which I missed? I mean, I know that documentation can be excellent and still be un-read but *do you have* such a thing I missed? 

And what else might be on such a list?! 

• 14. Re: v13 FMServer dropping connections (error 51)
                                    TSGal

Bill Geraci:

One of the bullet points under "Considering performance" on Page 10 of the FileMaker Server 13 Guide states:

"Disable screen savers and sleep (or hibernate and standby) mode on the server. These features reduce performance or suspend access to hosted databases."

I suggest re-reading Chapter 2 of the FileMaker Server 13 Guide as it includes a number of things when setting up FileMaker Server and ways to improve performance:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fms13_getting_started.pdf

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next