2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 9:12 AM by philmodjunk

v3 Updater "You cannot install/uninstall filemaker on this system..."

philmodjunk

Summary

v3 Updater "You cannot install/uninstall filemaker on this system..."

Description of the issue

System Info:Windows Xp sp33 Ghz Pentium 4504 MB Ram50+ GB free space on hard drive. I just spend an hour and a half running the updater from a shared volume to update various machines here where I work. On two machines, (specs for one given above), The v3 updater refused to run, displaying the the following error message: "You cannot install/uninstall filemaker on this system. Please refer to the system requirements in the installation instructions for more information." Anyone got a clue as to why I'm getting this error message?They both have FMP 10v1 installed on them and we haven't had any trouble with that version of filemaker on them.

• 1. Re: v3 Updater "You cannot install/uninstall filemaker on this system..."
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I don't have an immediate answer.  There is obviously something that the updater sees on those two machines that is stopping from installing.

For now, download the installer to one of those machines.  Quit all open applications and try to install locally.  Do you still get the same problem?  If so, run msconfig and stop all non-Microsoft services and try again.  Do you notice anything on these machines that do not exist on the other machines, even if it doesn't make sense?

As soon as I get more information from our testers, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: v3 Updater "You cannot install/uninstall filemaker on this system..."
            philmodjunk

Problem Solved.

Two computers in question were not open with passwords that had administrator privileges.

Apparently, that lack of permission triggered the error message.

Curiously, dragging the installer onto the local machine's hard drive and running it triggered a request for password with administrator privileges instead of the uninformative error message I reported in the first post.

Other oddities: Some of the updated computers required a restart and others didn't. There isn't any obvious reason why some updates required a restart and others did not.