Thank you for your post.
On the one Snow Leopard machine I have, I only have FileMaker Pro 10 installed, and it does not exhibit this behavior using Safari and Firefox on a Mac, and Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer on Windows. I will try to find and install FileMaker Pro 9 this afternoon.
In the mean time, I would like to see if this problem exists on your computer with a new database file. That is, create a new database file with one text field, format the text field as a checkbox with values "Yes" and "No". Enter one record, turn on Instant Web Publishing, and enter a couple of records. Access the database file via Instant Web Publishing, and see if you can find records. If you are able to find records, then either your original layout is damaged, or the file is corrupt. Try creating a new layout with the checkbox field and see if you are able to find records.
Please keep me posted with any progress.
I've explored this some more and I can now duplicate it every time. I think you'll be able to duplicate as well. Here are the steps:
- Create a new FM database with one text field, "Test"
- Create a layout with the field and have it display as a checkbox set with the values "Yes" and "No"
- Create at least one record with the value "Yes"
- Publish the database with Instant Web Publishing
- Access the database over the web
- Perform a find on "Yes"
- Notice that you get the expected result, the record you created
- Go back to FM and add another instance of the same field, "Test" on the same layout. This time have it display as an Edit Box. You now have the same two fields on the layout, one displaying as a Checkbox Set and one as an Edit Box
- Go back to the web view of the database and perform the same find, using the checkbox set instance of the field
- Notice that you get the "Valid Criteria" Message
- Try the identical find again using the Edit Box instance of the field, searching for the value "Yes"
- Notice that you get the expected result
The moral of the story: If you have both a Checkbox Set and an Edit Box version of the same field in the same layout, you can't perform searches using the Checkbox Set version using Instant Web Publishing. Let me know if you need me to send the sample database.
Thank you for the detailed information. I was able to replicate the problem.
Here are my findings which I have also forwarded to Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.
The same problem occurs if the field is also set to display as a radio button.
If the checkbox field appears below the Edit box field, the problem still occurs.
If you change the format of the Edit box field to a checkbox field, and change the checkbox field to an Edit box, the problem does not occur.
Without getting into a lot of detail, this problem exists if a field is formatted as a checkbox or radio button, and a second occurrence of the field is added to the layout formatted as an Edit box. If a field is formatted as an Edit box, and a second occurrence of the field is added to the layout formatted as either checkbox or radio button, the problem does not occur.
Therefore, to work around this problem, change your original instance of the field to an Edit Box, and change the second occurrence to a checkbox field. You can then switch the location of the fields.
Let me know if you run into any difficulty or need clarification.
I forgot to mention....
This problem also occurs in FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 11.
Thank you for the confirmation and the workaround, TSGal.