Validation error causes slide panel to slide unexpectedly

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13/14

Operating system version

Only tested on Mac and Go

Description of the issue

If you have several instances of the same field on separate panels of the same slide object, a validation error on this field will cause the slide object to slide to the earliest panel containing the field even if the field is present on the current panel.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make a slide control with several panels.
      Make a field with a validation.
      Put this field on several panels.
      Trigger a validation error on any but the earliest panel.

Expected result

The slide control should stay on the current panel if the field is present on the current panel.

Actual result

The slide control slides to the earliest panel containing the field.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

The Tab control exhibits the same behaviour

Workaround

I suppose I could manually handle all the validation myself in a script. For many fields and panels as in report filling it is a daunting prospect.
      Better then to ditch the slide control altogether and make separate layouts for the different tasks as before.

• 1. Re: Validation error causes slide panel to slide unexpectedly
          steveromig

Andreas -

Thank you for your message.

I asked around and the consensus was that the behavior you are seeing is the expected behavior - that FileMaker Pro would switch to the first panel versus staying on the "current" panel.  With that said, I am unable to reproduce the issue you are seeing.  Here is what I am doing

1. Created a slide panel with five (5) panels
          3. Added the same number field to all five panels.  The number field is set to validate that a number is in the range of 1-10
          5. On the first panel I entered a "5"
          7. On the second panel I changed the "5" to a "7"
          9. On the third panel I changed the "7" to an "11" and received the default validation warning.  I acknowledged it and remained on the third panel.

Is it possible that you have a script trigger set on your slide panel that might be producing the behavior you are seeing?  Is there a reason why you need the same field on multiple panels versus having it on only one panel or outside the panel?

TS_Shark
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Validation error causes slide panel to slide unexpectedly
            AndreasT

Hello

TS_Shark and thanks for the reply.

The individual user only use one panel. The others are hidden. A script triggered on Onrecordload determines what panel each user gets. Some users have some fields in common so some fields appear more than once in separate panels. Validation determines who needs to fill out certain fields.

For testing I just made a simple validation rule of not empty to check this behaviour. If I try to commit without entering a value, the earliest panel with this field present is selected. I do not share your view on expected behaviour. If the required field is available for input on the current panel there is no need to change panels and it can only serve to confuse people.

I can send you my sample file if needed.

• 3. Re: Validation error causes slide panel to slide unexpectedly
              TSGal

AndreasT:

Thank you for your posts.

I can replicate the issue with both slide controls and tab panels, and I can see how this may cause confusion in users as they get switched to another slide/tab panel.

No need to send a sample file.  I have submitted your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

In the mean time, use script triggers to validate fields.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Validation error causes slide panel to slide unexpectedly
                AndreasT

Thank you.

I have been able to circumvent the issue by conditionally hiding the duplicate field on the hidden panels. If the field is hidden, FM will not slide to the panel containing it.

• 5. Re: Validation error causes slide panel to slide unexpectedly
                  TSGal

AndreasT:

My apologies for the late reply.  As expected, Testing was able to reproduce the issue, and all information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Validation error causes slide panel to slide unexpectedly
                    TSGal

AndreasT:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.