9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 9:57 AM by TSGal

Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...

fmweetbicks

Summary

Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table occurrence

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0 v3

Operating system version

Mavericks 10.9.4

Description of the issue

Value list based on related values.  Field 1 is coming from related TO A,  and second display value comes from a TO that is related to TO A.   There is at least one record in TO A for which there is no valid relationship to TO B used for the display value.

when this occurs the value list breaks and no values are shown (not even those that have valid relationships)

Steps to reproduce the problem

1.   Base Layout A (eg classes)
      2.   Relationship (eg a join table) to table B (eg enrolments)
      3.   A relationship between table B and table C (eg contacts)
      4.   Setup a value list using related values.  First field is from B,  second field is from related C.  show values relating from table A.
      5. Add some records in B and C
      6. Needs to be at least one record in B for which there is a non-valid relationship to a record in C.
      7. Check value list, should not work,  but when you delete the invalid relationship record in B, it works.

EXAMPLE FILE HERE:  https://www.sendspace.com/file/e0k2tg

Expected result

I would expect the value list to always work and show values for all records in B which have a valid relationship to C.  For those that do not,  just not show them in the VL.

Actual result

Nothing shows in the value list at all for the situation where there is at least one record in B that has no valid relationship to C for the purposes of the secondary display value in the value list.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error, it just doesn't work.

Workaround

no workaround.

Screen_Shot_2014-08-27_at_3.46.16_pm.png

• 1. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
          TSGal

Weetbicks:

Thank you for your post.

I have downloaded the file, but I still don't see the issue.  I'm able to click on the entry for "00", and the value list for the related table appears.  Since "00" does not exist in the "Labourers" table, no selection is highlighted in the value list, but all six values (Name) are displayed.  Could you explain what you are expecting to see?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
            fmweetbicks

hi TSGal,  the picture is not a good indication,  the download file shows the issue better.  The issue is not on the drop-down within the portal, that is a standard value list and is fine.  The problem is on the drop-down on the right hand side of the layout.  This value list is for selecting IDs from table B,  but uses a second display value from C.

Because there is one record setup in table B which has no related record in C, this breaks this particular drop-down.

• 3. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
              TSGal

Weetbicks:

Thank you for the clarification.

I first noticed the Relationship graph that the ID's were not set to unique.  After changing that, I see that "Another Dropdown" field was based upon two fields, when it should only be one.  That is, change the "Test" Value List to only use values from the first field:   Labourers::Name

The related values will then display properly.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
                fmweetbicks

hi TSGal,

I think we're not quite on the same page here.  The value list on the right hand side called "Test" I want to select an ID from the Shut Labour table,  but I want to display the associated labourers name from the related TO.  This is a pretty common scenario.  The reason is that I cannot use an unstored calculation as the second display value in the value list, meaning I cannot put a calculation on the "Shut Labour" table for labourer name, hence I am forced to go through a relationship for the second display value.

The value list is to select "ID" from the shut labour table (its foreign key) while displaying in the drop down labourer names (the portal has nothing to do with the example really its just a method for adding shut labour records for the purpose of the example).

It is pointless for me to change the value list to only use values from the FIRST field being labourers name, because selecting a name from the VL is not what I want, I want the ID.

Completely ignore the value list in the portal for selecting labourer IDs, this has no relevance on the example and is again merely for creating shut labour records.

----

In the example, delete a portal row where "This row will break the value list" is showing,  the value list on the right will work.  Add a row with an invalid "labourer ID" in the portal and the value list breaks.

Now obviously this issue can be resolved by ensuring there are no invalid records in the join table, but this cannot always be guaranteed, and I don't believe a single record in that table should break the value list overall.

• 5. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
                  TSGal

Weetbicks:

I just changed it back so that it shows Labourers::ID as the first field, and Labourers::Name as the second field, Include only related values starting from Shutdown, and Show values only from second field.

I believe you originally had "Shut Labourers::ID" as the first field.  Change that to "L.abourers::ID".

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
                    fmweetbicks

again, I think you are missing the point here.  I don't want to select "Labourers::ID" from the drop down.  This is the primary key of a labourer.  What I want is the primary key of the SHUT LABOURERS table.    Shut Labourer is a join table between Shutdown & Labourers,  the "ID" field is completely different to that of the labourers ID.

The first field SHOULD be shut labourers::ID ,  not labourers::ID .  The whole issue is when this is the setup:

First field:  Shut Labourers::ID

Second field: Labourers::Name

You can redownload the file again to get back to the original situation, the link should still work.  In the original file, the drop-down is broken. Delete the portal row that is not linked to a labourer, and the drop down then works.

• 7. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
                      TSGal

Weetbicks:

Sorry for my confusion.  I tend to do better with real-world situations rather than "table A", "table B", "table C", etc.  After working with the file, I have a better understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

I have created another similar file (Names, Inventory, and Join tables) that exhibits the same behavior, and I have sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
                        fmweetbicks

no problem, thank you for taking the time to understand it and send it to development :)

• 9. Re: Value list breaks when single record has no valid relationship to second "display value" table...
                          TSGal

Weetbicks:

This issue has been corrected in FileMaker Pro 13.0v4.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.