Summary

Value list bug in FM 12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

Wow, here's the 4th major bug in FileMaker 12 which my clients are complaining loudly about. I switched one client over to FileMaker 12 as a test run… what a disaster so far. FM12 is basically a disaster.

1. If you have a drop-down list with lots of values in it (they have a value list with 3,000 values on it, populated from records in another table), FileMaker will only show the first 100 or so values in the drop-down list. You can't type ahead using your keyboard anymore. You have to MANUALLY scroll down to the bottom of the list, and then MANUALLY click on a little ellipsis… at which point, FileMaker 12 will suddenly populate the rest of the value list. This is in a hosted client-server environment…  I have no idea if this happens with a local file that isn't being hosted on FileMaker Server.

2. THIS PROBLEM GETS EVEN WORSE: if the field already has a value in the field (such as "XYZ Records"), and the user clicks in that field, the drop-down list appear… BUT IT NO LONGER HIGHLIGHTS THEIR VALUE IN THE VALUE LIST if their value is BEING HIDDEN FROM THE VALUE LIST. There is a very good chance that this will happen if there are 3,000 values in the value list. Even if the user manually clicks on the little ellipsis at the bottom of the drop-down list, their value is STILL not highlighted in the value list. So they can no longer use the arrows on their keyboard to go up or down in the value list; they can no longer visually see where their value is in the value list; they can no longer type ahead in the value list. This all happens if the field already has a value in the field, which was never a problem in previous versions of FileMaker.

See the attached screenshot for what this drop-down value list is based on... it's SO INCREDIBLY SIMPLE, yet FileMaker 12 has now made an entire database COMPLETELY UNUSABLE for my clients.

Screen_shot_2012-05-01_at_12.28.38_PM.png