7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 11:54 AM by philmodjunk

Value List error

DavidSimmons

Summary

Value List error

Description of the issue

I have a layout that has 3 Value list without names. I cannot remove, rename or change them. How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: Value List error
          philmodjunk

What do you see when you enter layout mode and double-click the value list formatted field?

• 2. Re: Value List error
            DavidSimmons
               There is 3 value list but they do not have names, so you can't delete, edit or rename them.
            • 3. Re: Value List error
              philmodjunk

I repeat my question. A value list is an object that you can attach to a field on a layout. It's behavior is controlled by the field/control | setup... dialog. I'm trying to get more detail so as to understand the issue you are having.

Can you select one of these objects and bring up the field/control | setup... dialog?

Can you find them in Manage | Value lists?

What exactly do you see on the layout? (value lists can be radio buttons, check boxes, drop down lists or pop up menus.)

If you are looking at a layout object, can you click on them and delete them?

If not, have you checked to see if the object is locked?

• 4. Re: Value List error
                DavidSimmons
                   Looking at the Manage Value list for my layout, I see 3 value list entries which all have blank names. Because of the blank name you can change or delete them. From Field /Control setup you can see the 3 value list without names so you can select them.
                • 5. Re: Value List error
                  philmodjunk

What exactly do you see on the layout? (value lists can be radio buttons, check boxes, drop down lists or pop up menus.)

While in layout mode, can you click on them and delete them from the layout?

If not, have you checked to see if the object is locked?

Manage Value Lists has both edit and delete options. Do they work for these three value lists? If not, your file may be damaged. If you have a back up copy, check it. If you don't or the back up copy shows the same problem, try recovering the file.

• 6. Re: Value List error
                    DavidSimmons
                       You are not getting it. Go to your filemaker->File->Manage->Value List. In the list is 3 entries that do not have names. Nothing else matters from there because you can't do anything to them edit, or delete. That means you can't use them in a filed control. They dead, BUG.....
                    • 7. Re: Value List error
                      philmodjunk

Please read carefully.

From your posts, there was a lot of missing info and that's why I'm asking questions. You initially referred to deleting value lists from a layout and that led to questions about whether or not you are trying to modify a value list, the field it's attached to or something else. We've now narrowed a few things down and I'll repeat the part of my previous post that seems to apply:

Your file may be damaged. If you have a back up copy, check it. If you don't or the back up copy shows the same problem, try recovering the file.