If you have the following values in a value list:

Apple
      Bear
      Banana
      IBM
      SEC
      SSI
      TVI

You can type on the keyboard "be" to go to bear or "ba" to go to banana, but if you type "ss" no selection will occur.  This only happens on WIN, on Mac it will go to the right selection.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a value list:

Apple
      Bear
      Banana
      IBM
      SEC
      SSI
      TVI

Tab into the field and type "ss" on your keyboard.

Expected result

SSI should be selected, but only the first value with "s" will be selected.

Configuration information

Must be on Windows XP or Windows 7

Workaround

There is no known workaround.

• 1. Re: Value List Index Bug
          philmodjunk

I cannot replicate this.

Using Windows 7. When I copy and paste your values into a custom value list and use it as a drop down list format on a text field, typing SS highlights the SSI entry as expected.

• 2. Re: Value List Index Bug
            GianandreaGattinoni

I thinkl you should more clear on explaining the propblm.

having a drop down list format on a text field with the custom value list associated to it, only the first letter of the words in the list is checked.

i.e. typing B several times it just loops from Bear and Banana. The same if you type S, it loops between SEC and SSI. If you type T just stay on TVI.

So, with field  this definition, FM works correctly

• 3. Re: Value List Index Bug
              philmodjunk

That's it.

As a possible work around, you can enable auto-complete (if Field 1 is text, not a case where field 1 is an ID number and field 2 is the name field shown...) and then Typing SS will select SSI.

• 4. Re: Value List Index Bug
                Chrislikespie

y Gianandrea, Yes while typing just B or S more than once will go down to the next value in the list or cycle between the B or S values, we ahve always been able to quickly type multiple characters such as TRAV which would cause FileMaker to jump past values such as TRUCK and select the word TRAVEL. I've tested this up to 4 characters and it works. So, typing SS should select the first value with SS.

• 5. Re: Value List Index Bug
                  Chrislikespie

PhilModJunk, I mistakenly said it was a custom value list. This problem shows on value lists defined from a field. I am using a value list with both a ID as the first field and the value name for the second field, displaying only the second field(name).

With this type of value list, the selection of the values appears to work as expected in all other respects as a custom value list with the exception of words where the first 2 characters are the same as in BBA or SSI.

• 6. Re: Value List Index Bug
                    philmodjunk

I can duplicate your issue with custom value lists if I add a third S item between the other two. Then typing SS selects the second S item instead of SSI.

• 7. Re: Value List Index Bug
                      TSGal

ChrisLikesPie:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I am able to replicate the problem only on Windows operating system.  That is, it works properly under Mac OS X 10.7.3.

Typing "SS" did not find the correct value, but if I typed "SSI", it would highlight.  So it would see that the typeahead in Windows requires more characters until the first character isn't repeated.  Therefore, if I have the entry "CCCC2012", I would have to typeahead CCCC2 before the entry could be selected.  Entries that only contain repeat characters (e.g., AAA) would only be accessible by typing AA1 (since that just precedes AAA).

I have forwarded your posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When information becomes available to me, I will let you know.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Value List Index Bug
                        TSGal

ChrisLikesPie:

Our Testing department has confirmed the issue under Windows, and the issue has been sent on to Development for additional review.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.