4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2009 10:25 AM by TSGal

Value list malfunction with number field

StephMel

Summary

Value list malfunction with number field

Description of the issue

I have a number field controlled by a value list for data entry. The value list contains numbers like 0,25 1,75 etc. On a French version of FileMaker 10, it doesn't take care of the decimals : 1,25 becomes 125. The file setting for the database is set to current system preference. I can't updrade my customers to FileMaker 10 without facing a serious period of instability. Any suggests ? I have prepared a demo file. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Value list malfunction with number field
          TSGal

StephMel:

Thank you for your post.

I am using FileMaker Pro 10, and I am unable to duplicate the problem.  This is what I have done:

1. I went into my System Preferences and set International to French system and also the Formats to French -> France

2. I launched FileMaker Pro 10, created a new database file (Test.fp7) with two fields:

Name (Text)

Number (Number)

3. In Layout Mode, I set Number to be a drop-down menu with a new value list (Numbers) with the values:

4. I added two records:

TSGal - 0,50

StephMel - 1,25

5. I quit FileMaker Pro.

6. I changed International to United States and Formats to United States.

7. I launched FileMaker Pro and opened Test.fp7.  The data appears as:

TSGal - 0.50

StephMel - 1.25

8. When I click on the Number field, the values show with decimal "." character.

9. I quit FileMaker Pro, changed the International to French and Formats to French -> France, launched FileMaker Pro, opened the file and all decimals display as commas.

-------

I'm not sure what else to try here.

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send your demo file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Value list malfunction with number field
            TSGal

StephMel:

I received your file.  There was definitely some corruption in the file, and I have rebuilt a new file.  I have sent the new file to our Technical Support liaison, so you should receive it shortly.  If you haven't received it by the end of today, please let me know, and I'll make sure it is sent to you immediately.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Value list malfunction with number field
              StephMel
                 Thanks. I have to tell you that the file I sent you was brand new file created with FileMakerPro 7 in an english enviornment. I can't see when the corruption occured.
              • 4. Re: Value list malfunction with number field
                TSGal

StephMel:

It may be a limitation of FileMaker Pro 7 that was corrected in a later version.  Unfortunately, I don't have FileMaker Pro 7 to test.  The earliest version I have is 8.5, and that seems to work correctly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.